Redfield Herd Path Length?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
Being the obsessive planner that I am, I've hit a snag re: Redfield Herd Path. I have the route down but conflicting sources have it as anywhere from 1-1.5 miles (various) to 3 miles (Joel's site) when measured from the Uphill leanto. Accurate mileage and time estimates are much appreciated. I'm guessing it's about 1.5 miles, and a 3 hr RT.

I'm headed out for an extended trip on the 16th and will post a "planned" itinerary before heading out. Thanks!

SK -

Check out Hikerdad's post over on Trip Reports. I'm sure he'd be happy to give you more info. if needed. As I remember when I did it several years ago, it was more like a mile and a half, but that was 1995 and memories fade. Good luck.

SherpaK, I did this hike with two friends last year. The herd path is probably just over 1.5 miles, but not quite 1.75. 3 hour RT is a conservative estimate.

Enjoy the trip!

josh

Thanks! I got a bit concerned when I saw Joel's notes, but looking at the map could not figure out how it could wander so much. Funny, I had read HikerDad's trip report at length but did not remember it. The time was right there - that would have reassured me about the distance.

Well, I'm on track so far :)

Last edited:
I would agree re: 1.5-1.75 miles and 3 hours is rather conservative. Since the route has been cleaned up considerably by the 46ers, I imagine you may find the time even better than 3 hours. When I did it 2 years ago for the first time it was a little messy with blowdown, and meandering herdpaths. I hear it's a really nice route now.

I and my fellows will be climbing Allen on Saturday the 17th for our 46th peak and I'll be sure to wave at you from the nearby summit!

Redfield is my favorite trailess peak!

Best of the trailess peaks IMHO, a scenic climb along the brook with a decent summit view!!!

:D

That trail is in incredible condition. I did it on a beautiful day about a month ago, and it's the best trail I've been on in a few years. The views from the top are pretty solid also. Have a safe and happy trip.

Just to reinforce what everyone has said here. Two sets of fifty year old legs climbed Redfield in June. With sufficient rest stops, we were up and down under three hours. What used to be one of the five worst trails (travel wise) in the high peaks is now one of the five best thanks to Pete Hickey and crew.

Thanks for all the info on this one. I feel a) better, b) ready!

I also got some great info on Allen (and getting there from Flowed Lands) over the weekend from HarryK and Warren. Sometimes the best info that you get is that which identifies the lack of wisdom in route planning. A questionable route choice in the middle of a long trip can really ruin an otherwise great trip. As such, it became evident that Flowed Lands to Allen would add undue stress (physically, mentally and logistically) since I plan to then head to the Santanoni's after the first leg of my trip. Allen will wait until a later, leisurely trip. The wife is also happy that I'll be in Maine 2 days earlier than originally planned :D Now if all of you could do something about the forecast. It's looking a bit wet (and I sink real deep in mud!)