Hiking to swimming holes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
With this heat & humidity it's the time to hike into places where you can swim and cool off. one of the places I've got directions to is called the "blue ledges of the hudson" and supposedly it's a great little swimming hole. i'm just wondering if any of you guys have been into it this year and if it's actually worth the trip. keep in mind, i'm looking to hang out and swim for several hours; so it may be beautiful but can you actually swim? also, one of the gorges we usually swim in this time of the year, was still too high and rapid so i'm wondering how the water levels are up there. any info on this place or other great places to hike into and swim would be appreciated.
thanks

A few of my faverite swimming holes are Lake Rutherford in High Point SP NJ as well as Tillmans Ravine in Stokes SF. There is a great hot tube shaped hole the Tillmans Brook flows into. The water is always cold. Another great swimming hole is at Raymondskill Falls in PA (Delaware Water Gap) I like the bottom falls because the upper two are dangerouse due to the strong current.

ny swimming holes

has anyone heard of "spiers falls"? i guess that's up on the northern end of the hudson somewhere and is supposed to be very secluded and great swimming. i don't even think you have to hike far into it. not being from here i'm kind of surprised there's anyplace in the hudson safe to swim, especially when you see how skanky it is down around albany! can you just imagine how awesome it would be if the entire river was clean the way it's supposed to be?

Blue Ledges is a very nice spot and well worth the trip. A nice place to throw a line in the water too, I might add. The north and South Forks of the Bouguet River. West Mill brook has a nice swimming/waterfall hole as well.

Eeee-owww. Years ago we went for a scuba dive in the bowl on the brook that runs along the lincoln gap road in Vermont. You would not believe the ugly bugs in that water, 8 inch centipedes, things with pincers, things with wings etc.

On the other hand it was nice to be spun around and around by the flow of the water. And what it feels like to swim underneath a water fall...well you'll just have to experience that!

spier falls should be renamed skanky falls

re: spier falls
don't waste your time - what a nasty place. could be nice altho i'm not 100% on the water issue up there. but even so, the people who've been going there leave garbage all over; beer cans, broken glass, even several dirty diapers! it made me mad and sad - it's state property but no one must care about it. i wanted to write to the town of corinth and tell them they should be ashamed of themselves! a good day of clean up would make a world of difference.

note; there's 2 threads on this issue can we combine them somehow?

Blue Ledges is a great spot to swim. Even when the Hudson is running high you can swim there if you stay in the eddies. However, this time of year, the Hudson is running at or near its lowest levels, so swimming will not be a problem.

blue ledges directions

Take I-87 [Adirondack Northway] to exit 23.
Turn LEFT (West) onto CR-35 [Diamond Point-Bakers Crossing Rd].
Turn RIGHT (North) onto US-9. Pass through Warrensburg.
Turn LEFT (West) onto SR-28.
Arrive at North Creek.
Turn RIGHT onto SR-28N.
After 9.5 miles, turn LEFT (West) onto North Woods Club Rd.
Drive for about 6 more miles.