Pine Mountain (NH) question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim lombard

Reaction score
Has anyone ever climbed this? Is the road closed to public foot travel? It would seem to have very unique views of the Northern Presidentials from looking at the map. An old 1955 map shows a trail off the road going over a South Cliff. I'm looking for some good footing hikes I can do with a toddler on my back, I'd probably just stick with the road if the trail is more of a scramble. My old map also says "Tower."

I'll assume you mean Pine Mt, as in the Horton Center? I don't know the status of the road at present, but I do know that for a toddler or young one (on your back or otherwise) the grade is not too bad at all. As a matter of fact, for the minimal effort, the view is very, very nice. I carried a young one up there in 2000 with no prob, and before that we took our daughter, who was 4 at the time, as well as another 4 year old, who tractioned on up under their own power. Hope this helps!

I'll assume you mean Pine Mt, as in the Horton Center? I don't know the status of the road at present, but I do know that for a toddler or young one (on your back or otherwise) the grade is not too bad at all. As a matter of fact, for the minimal effort, the view is very, very nice. I carried a young one up there in 2000 with no prob, and before that we took our daughter, who was 4 at the time, as well as another 4 year old, who tractioned on up under their own power. Hope this helps!

The map shows it off RT-2 near Appalachia, not sure what the town is but it seems to be between Randolph and Gorham. Thanks for the info Fisher Cat:)

Yea, the Pine Mt Road runs off Dolly Copp Rd, follow it on foot, then you take the Ledge Tr to the outlooks. The road is open to foot traffic, but it being private, is not open to vehicles. You can also catch the Pine Mt Trail off Promenade Rd in Gorham and come in from the NE, but I've never gone that way personally, I've only used the Road access.

Hello Jim,

I really enjoyed the hike from the south described by Fisher Cat, back in Oct. 2005. As of then at least, you could only drive to the parking area on the Pinkham B (Dolly Copp) Rd. for the Pine Link Trail, which was right across from the private dirt road up to the Horton Center, off which the hiking trails branch. There are a few slabs on the Ledges Trail that might be too steep for comfort with a toddler.

Agree w/Amicus - there is a little bit of scrambling near the summit, but as long as it is dry you should have no problem. I actually got my mother up there a few years ago and she is NOT a hiker. (Yay Mom!) :D She did, however, get irritated with me because I "made her sweat." We descended via the road. It's a nice little mountain.

Pine Mtn.

The southern ledges are beautiful. The view is of Pinkham and Carter Notches. Great view of Carters, Wildcats, Washington and Madison. However, there is a trail leading north to another bump that has a unique view. There is an outdoor chapel there with a cross and a view similar to the south ledges except the bulk of the mountain blocks the view of the Presidentials, but it is still worth the effort because it is a beautiful spot.

The trail up from Promenade St. in Gorham starts in a sand pit at the end of the road. Not sure about parking this time of year. May be difficult. We found the trail overgrown and seldom used a couple of years back. This trail leads to the north bump first.

KDT

The north slope facing the Moose river is a favorite winter snowshoe destination of mine as its not a bad walk from the house. There is a lot of snowmachine use in the winter so its best to wait until the sleds are off the trails.

The best time of year is before or after summer camp season, as the UCC runs a summer camp program there in the summer. There are three distinct knobs with views and most folks only hit one of the them. The walk up the road from Pinkham B is closed to private vehicles but open to camp vehicles during the summer. You park at the Pine Link lot and need a WMNF parking sticker. There are minimal views along the road but its well graded. Once you get to the camp, take a right on an obvious trail to the old fire tower location. The actual tower location is surrounded by softwoods but there is a good view from an unusual direction at Madison. There are side paths along the final section of trail that run off to the south and out to the cliffs and to a real nice adirondack shelter. It is not officially open to the public but people do use it during the off season. The trail to the firetower continues down the open slabs and down the rocky West face, until it rejoins the road. This would not be toddler friendly.

During the off season when you hike up the road, rather than turning right to go to the fire tower, walk towards the camp center and take a left at the large building and follow the path up the hill past various summer cabins to another lean to for a great view west and north.

The final knob is Chapel Rock, If you are coming back from the fire tower take a right onto the Pine Mtn Trail which skirts the camp. In about 100 yards or less you will cross the trail to Chapel Rock on your right. Follow the well graded trail to the third Knob which has another great view.

The Pine Mtn Trail from Gorham is well graded with no views but makes for a longer day and odds are you wont see anyone. The trailhead is difficult to find. The best way to reach it is to take Promenade street to its end (the cemetary) and park. Then follow the one lane extension of the road past a couple of houses to a gravel road which comes out in an old gravel pit. The trailhead is to your left. I can drive my honda civic there in the summer but it can be muddy and rocky. The trail goes through some woods then comes out on a pipeline right of way. Take a right (west) and go about 100 yards along the right of way until you pick up a woods road to your left. Follow the woods road into the woods and keep an eye out after 1/4 of a mile or so for the trail to turn right off the woods road, there was a sign this summer. After that the trail s pretty obvious and well graded. There is usually lots of moose and deer sign in the saddle near the top. There is one muddy stretch in the saddle.

As a no elevation alternative, the old railtrail that runs around Gorham Hill is great walk and there are even a couple of views, a couple of nice old bridges and a huge beaver pond loaded with peepers. Its closed to ATV's and is rough for most bikes so it gets almost no use.The best access is to drive Dolley Copp road (pinkham B) to the new Randolph town office, park near the road and head east along the old RR. It may be worth the 20 minutes or so to check out the beaver ponds when you do Pine mtn. If you are really ambitious check out the old mineral spring and bottling plant which was the long since abandoned trailhead for two trails up the North side. The railtrail runs along a stream most of the way and there are a couple of nice features. I sometimes do the walk from Randolph to where it crosses under Rt 2 in Gorham and back or if I am motivated walk on the shoulder of Rt 2 back to the car.

I "thru-hiked" it from Gorham to Dolly Copp Road about three years ago and had no trouble parking or route-finding. It was in the fall. Just pay attention at the beginning. It's a nice woodsy amble from Gorham on up to the Horton Center, very pleasant in fall. The initial grassy section on the Gorham side in the spring, however, will probably be blooming with ticks so the usual precautions apply. There are some fantastic if not unique views into the northern Presidentials for relatively little effort.