Snow Free Trails - New Hampshire - Spring 2009 Edition

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pumpelly Trail

Hiked up Monadnock a few weeks back via White Dot, Cascade Link, Spellman and Pumpelly. Pumpelly was open from the Cascade Link junction that day but it sounded like it varies depending on where they are clearing the trails.

Blueberry Mountain Trail (Benton)

My hiking partner (Zman) and I hiked the Blueberry Mountain Trail today (17-Apr-2009) from Long Pond Road to the summit of Blueberry Mountain. This trail was 99.9% free of snow & ice. I’m not giving it a complete 100% rating since, technically-speaking, there were a couple of very small patches of snow. But (IMHO), these short patches were not significant enough to disqualify this trail from the list.

Mt. Welch

The eastern part of the loop trail up to the Mt. Welch summit is 99% snow free.

What little snow remains in this section is easily avoided, no traction necessary.

Significant snow remains on the northern side of Welch, in the col between peaks, and patches in the trees near the top of the Dickey side of the loop trail.

Last edited:
The eastern part of the loop trail up to the Mt. Welch summit is 99% snow free.

What little snow remains in this section is easily avoided, no traction necessary.

Significant snow remains on the northern side of Welch, in the col between peaks, and patches in the trees near the top of the Dickey side of the loop trail.

TDawg, sorry to have missed you yesterday. We slowly sauntered along the loop with plenty of summit sitting. What you said is correct, but we had no trouble with the trail in bare boots and bare paws.

owls head

we found snow on owls head today...lots of it...

I'm curious if anyone has been on the Pompelly or Marlboro trails on Monadnock? Is there still snow there?

We hiked Monadnock on Sunday 04/19 from the Toll House up White arrow to Fairy Spring to Monte Rosa and a whole myriad of trails from there and no real snow or ice to speak of anywhere. The Ranger or parking attendant at the toll house told us all trails on the other side (Pumpelly / Dublin , etc.) of the mountain would be cleared by the end of the week. What a beautiful hike it was besides having to scold a group of teenage boys for hurling large rocks from just below the summit area down the trail. Nothing surprises me when hiking Monadnock!

Bald Knob via Shannon Brook Trail to Bald Knob Cut Off to Bald Knob Trail is snow free and mostly dry.

Mt. Shaw trail and Black Snout trail to the summit of Mt. Shaw is 98% snow-free. The only spots with snow and ice are on the level portions of the trail near the summit. No traction needed.

Does anyone know if the trails on the eastern side of Cardigan are clear of snow yet (or at least clear enough to leave the snowshoes home)?

I'd like to do a loop via the Holt and Manning trails early next week, but I would hate to drive all the way out there if the trails are still a mess.

Thanks!
Mike

Last edited:
I haven't been anywhere near there this year, but from past experience, if you haven't had a good report, don't leave without at least putting your micro spikes in your pack. I went up one year about this time. There was no snow at all at the lodge, but the upper ledges on Holt were VERY icy. I made my way up one ledge cutting hand and foot holds with a pocket knife.:eek:

Foss Mountain via the Foss Mountain Trail is snow and ice free. Summer parking lot accessible for vehicles with decent ground clearance.

Waterville Valley

Snows Mtn. Loop, cross country tr. (Snows Mtn. Tr.?) over to Cascade Path, Cascade Path back to Snows Mtn. ski chair all snow free.

I'd suspect most trails in the lower elevations of Waterville Valley to be the same if not close to clear.

Purple Trilliums aka "Stinking Benjamin" are blooming on southern and western aspects. Northern and eastern are just a bit behind, they haven't quite opened up yet. Hobblebush starting to grow their leaves and beginnings of flowers, spring is sprouting!

Last edited:
When I hiked the Holt & Clark trails last year on May 11th, there were a few minor patches of snow. Based upon what I've been seeing, we're still a week or two ahead of last year in terms of melting.