Snow Free Trails - New Hampshire - Spring 2009 Edition

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bee Line and Brook Trails to Chocorua are virtually snow free. Liberty Trail to Chocorua should be snow free before the end of the week.

A quick check of the Ossipee Mountains today showed a couple of small patches of snow in places shaded by hemlocks. That was 2 places. They shoud be gone by the time it stops raining. Everything else appeared to be snow free. I could see moving swarms of small black things hovering in places shielded from the wind.

Posted trip report, Crawford-Ridgepole trail is snow free. Any updates on Welch-Dickey?

Mike, I was there a few weeks back , there was minimal snow then mostly in the col. With the warm weather we've had here in Campton/Thornton recently, and with the rain forecast for tonight/tomorrow. I'd bet money it is close to, if not snow free.

Welch-Dickey was 99% clear on 04/25. There was an insignificant amount of snow in the trees just north of the Dickey summit. The rest of the loop was clear and mostly dry.

Carters?

How are the trails up Carter and Wildcat?

We want to do a loop using the 19-mile brook to Zeta Pass...then off to middle and south carter...back to Height and then Carter Done...Hut and then down via 19-mile brook.

We are done with snowshoes, however. What you all think? Are these trails doable without snowshoes (so...pretty snow free) or should we wait till June?

Thanks.

We want to do a loop using the 19-mile brook to Zeta Pass...then off to middle and south carter...back to Height and then Carter Done...Hut and then down via 19-mile brook.

I did a shorter version of this loop last weekend. 19MB is probably pretty close to completely bare now. Carter-Moriah from the notch to the top of the steeps was already bare. From the top of the steeps (ie the viewpoint) to the summit, however, there was still plenty of snow (3-6 feet).

From Carter Dome down to Zeta (didn't go to Hight), there was also still plenty of snow. Carter Dome Trail from 19MB to Zeta is probably just about bare by now. I suspect there's still plenty of snow in places between Zeta and Middle (though the ledgy areas may be bare).

Mt. Osceola Trail to Mt. Osceola (from Tripoli Road, which is open) - only one small windblown patch of snow needs to be walked upon (firm, no monorail/postholing, only about a dozen feet long) - otherwise, snow free!

Northeast Cannonball via Lonesome Lake Trail to Kinsman Ridge Trail - virtually snow/ice free.

Whiteface/Passaconaway via Blueberry Ledge, Rollins, and Dicey's Mill is 99% snow free. A tiny bit of snow lingers on Rollins, but it's negligible and easily to walk around.

Last edited:
Presies?

How are the Presies looking?

Hubby and I are planning Jefferson this Sunday (Jewell Trail to Gulfside to...loop trail to summit) and just want to know if we need crampons, microspikes and/or snowshoes.

We REALLY don't want the snowshoes but...would rather have them and be able to complete our hike...than not have them and get turned around or exceedingly frustrated (makes for a LOOONNGGG hike AND...ride home :()

Hubby and I are planning Jefferson this Sunday (Jewell Trail to Gulfside to...loop trail to summit) and just want to know if we need crampons, microspikes and/or snowshoes.

I hiked that route on the 30th of April, and there was only about a mile of snow cover (upper portion of Jewell, below treeline) at that point. Crampons and snowshoes never left my pack.

Do note that the summer hiking parking lot is open now, so it's a longer hike than the winter approach from the Cog base station.

Do note that the summer hiking parking lot is open now, so it's a longer hike than the winter approach from the Cog base station.

How much longer is this section of the hike...or, if I have the AMC map...would that already be something that I'd considered?

OH...and how is that "side walking" section on the Gulfside...should it still be an issue...or, no, since there isn't any snow up there?

How much longer is this section of the hike...or, if I have the AMC map...would that already be something that I'd considered?
The AMC map/distances refer to the summer parking area, though there are passing references to the segment that goes to the Cog.

OH...and how is that "side walking" section on the Gulfside...should it still be an issue...or, no, since there isn't any snow up there?

Gulfside was no problem from Jewell to Jefferson Loop on April 30, but it is the Presidentials, so be prepared.

Falling Waters trail and Old Bridle Path to Franconia ridge:

As of 5/21/09 the only snow on these trails is a narrow, icy monorail for about 1/4 mile in the upper part of the Franconia Ridge trail. It's easy enough to walk beside the snow for the most part, there were only a couple of places where I had to walk on the snow and it was pretty firm.