Cedar Brook Crossing on Pemi East Side Trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirabela

Reaction score
So my daughter and I are poring over maps looking for a good early May backpacking trip, and we're kicking around the idea of the loop that goes up one side of the East Branch and down the other, via East Side & Wilderness trails.

The one thing that looks like it might pose a real obstacle is the Cedar Brook crossing. Obviously things will depend on weather, snowmelt, etc., but in a typical year, is it likely that this crossing will be difficult or dangerous in early May?

:eek:

Thanks --

Matt & Isidora

EDIT -- Just added this 5/4 after returning, so that this thread might be useful to anyone searching it in the future. The crossing was deep and fast (and cold, obviously) when we got there Saturday afternoon (5/2) -- enough so that I'd have thought hard about attempting it with a group of adults, probably would have turned around as a lone adult, and was going nowhere near it with my five-and-a-half year old. At the time we were there, the Pemi East Branch was probably running about 1,500 cfs according to the gauge (see link below). I'm 5'10" and the deepest (and fastest) couple of channels would have run well above my knees. It's a serious crossing at that level. By Sunday it was probably much lower. Anyway, in the hope this info might someday do someone some good, that's what we found. It's a nice trip up to there, anyway.

Last edited:
Dangerous? No. Difficult? Maybe... I have been on the Cedar Brook Trail a few times in May, and didn't have much of a problem with the water crossings. Worst case is your going to have to take off your boots and walk 10 feet thru calf deep cold water, which is not so bad. Enjoy your trip and bring some Tevas...

Dangerous? No. Difficult? Maybe... I have been on the Cedar Brook Trail a few times in May, and didn't have much of a problem with the water crossings. Worst case is your going to have to take off your boots and walk 10 feet thru calf deep cold water, which is not so bad. Enjoy your trip and bring some Tevas...

The same would apply to the Cedar Brook crossing on the Pemi East Side trail. Might be a little wider than 10 feet down there though in higher water. I think I went by there in August.

I did a ski loop of Wilderness and Pemi East side in January a couple years back after there was a mid-winter thaw. I was not prepared for the crossing of the Cedar Brook on the East Side Trail. The choices were to cross where it was wide and not as fast running or narrower and faster moving. There was not enough rocks to hop all the way across on up or down stream of the trail crossing. This was the most tricky water crossing I have ever done.

In May you should have less snow so travelling further up and down steam to find a better crossing will be easier. In the end I made it across but not with dry feet. I would keep a good eye on the water levels

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nh/nwis/uv/?site_no=01074520&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

before you go out and be prepared for the possibility of wading. If water levels are very high I wouldn't cross there.

Thanks for the replies thus far and for the Pemi discharge gauge link.

Any updated info (i.e. if you've been that way recently, or go there this week) will be appreciated. We're looking at going in May 2-3. My daughter is not very tall yet, so a crossing that is not a big deal to me might still be pretty unnerving to her.