Rain, rain, rain and Jefferson

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

HikerBob

All the verbage you never needed and a few pics from a very wet hike up to Jefferson via Caps, Link, Castles and back down the Caps.

No, I didn't take Karen, but I did have Lisa along so I didn't suffer alone :D

You can find it all HERE

Bob

Nice trip report. I had a similar experience on Wright (Adks) in June 2002. Rain, rain, rain below... horizontal sleet on top. On the way down, about two miles from the trailhead, the storm passed and it was beautifully sunny. The best thing, though, was the baffled look from hikers who were just starting out. ;)

HikerBob: fear not, I know a few other hikers who trusted the weatherman on Saturday. The sun finally did come out from my lofty perch at the Bar in the Sunday River Brewery.

That was some rough hike you tackled! Adams is well worth the effort. I've always held it as my favorite summit in the Whites (but West Bond and Jefferson are closing in)

Both Karen and Lisa are great hiking partners and they know I won't ask them to do anything they really don't want to. I might encourage them to push their boundaries a little and I have seen their confidence and capabilities grow, as have mine. If it came to it they both know I'd be willing to turn around at any point.

I'd have them both come with me when I tackle the Tripyramids... but they might throw me down one of the slides ;)

I'll have another go at Adams via Lowes Path sometime in the next couple of months. It's the only one of the Presidential 4k peaks I have yet to scale. I've been up the Airline twice, once to Madison in great conditions (my first 4k) and once turned around at treeline in an early winter storm last November. Both times I found it to be very gruelling. The views from Durand Ridge are exceptional though.

I'll probably even redo this last weekends trip on a day with guaranteed sunshine! The Link is not the easiest of trails, but it does make for a nice loop that gets you the Castles and the Caps in a single day. I'd like to stand on some of those Castle perches and see a little more than grey!

Bob