s. meadow/car camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Never been to south meadows, always have gone to LOJ. If I can't get a motel room, I was going to sleep in my car. Is this allowed in south meadows, and how big is the parking lot? How different is the trail to marcy dam than from the LOJ?

yes

I do believe car camping is allowed and its a bunch of little sites not one big one. The tot road from South Meadown to the dam is a lot easier hiking than from the lodge. The road is almost flat with a few ups and downs :) I always travel to tote road it is easier on the feet.

ADAM

Was up ther last month , we went in at the loj and came out at s/ meadow. There is a good amount of single car camping spots on the road into south meadow, you should be all set. You can head into Marcy dam up the truck road its about the same distance from the loj, have fun.

Just a few quick follow up questions to this previous thread. We are looking at getting on there late Friday night in mid-october. Bagging a peak Saturday, and spending Saturday night also.

Will be be able to find these sites in the dark?

Would we be a nuisance to others trying to sleep if we get there too late? or are the sites far enough apart that this won't matter?

Is it cool to leave our tents set up during the day Saturday? Any regs against it or problems with security?

Thanks!

Tony

*edited to say, i have responded using these>>>>

tonycc said:
Just a few quick follow up questions to this previous thread. We are looking at getting on there late Friday night in mid-october. Bagging a peak Saturday, and spending Saturday night also.

Will be be able to find these sites in the dark?

>>>YES, they are individually marked and allow 1-2 cars to fit (tightly)

Would we be a nuisance to others trying to sleep if we get there too late? or are the sites far enough apart that this won't matter?

>>>doesn't matter, people will fall back asleep, but no, it shouldn't issue

Is it cool to leave our tents set up during the day Saturday? Any regs against it or problems with security?

>>>no problem as the sites have camping discs if you choose not to camp in you car...

Thanks!

Tony

Adirondack Loj road off Rt 73, between Van Hoevenburg rec area and ski jumps. First(only ?) left turn is South Meadow road.

Thanks for the reminder about hunting season, our trip is planned for Oct 15-17. I just checked and both bear and deer rifle seasons are closed that weekend. I'll still make a recommendation that the crew wears bright colors.

Tony

Do all these sites fill up and on a popular fall weekend at what time? Three of us will be arriving late Friday night and wondering if it will be feasible to get a campsite there. Thanks!

Pudgy - I'm willing to bet that you'll have NO problem getting a site there. I was there memorial day weekend and there were open sites, which leads me to believe that this weekend should be no different. I'll be there this weekend (hopefully) too.

peace
Oysterhead

Thanks, too, Pete. I'll be hiking Mt. Hoevenburg from South Meadow on Thanksgiving Day and will wear lots of bright orange--don't want to be mistaken for someone's prospective Thanksgiving Day dinner!