Thule vs. X-Cargo

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Anyone have a preference when it comes to cargo boxes?
I think X-Cargo is made by Thule for Sears. Just wanted to see if anyone out there knows of any pros or cons on either. Should be "pretty much" the same then.
Thanks.

We have had the same X cargo box since I was three or four. It has plenty of room for loaded packs and can be set up by one person (two is better).

Really? We're talking car-top cargo boxes, right?
I thought X-Cargo was new from Sears. It's been around a while then (no punn intended)? Thanks for the info.

I do not know if this might work bit I have/use the Thule Caravan on trips. Carriers evrything we need for extended trips with the family. I drive a minivan and have 4 kids. Best part is storage, folds up in a bag and stays under one of the back seats.

I've heard from a reliable source that the Thule box locks can freeze up in winter leaving the box inaccessible. Sinve these locks are exposed to, maybe, 80 mph winds, moisture, ice and salt, it is not hard to imagine that they can be difficult to use in winter conditions.

I don't know if Thule has addressed this or if there is indeed a weatherproof lock but that is a consideration when making your selection.

I've heard from a reliable source that the Thule box locks can freeze up in winter leaving the box inaccessible.

True. I have a 10 year old box where that happened when I first got it. Shortly thereafter, I cleaned the locks, added graphite to the internas, lubed the mechanism inside with wd-40 and all has been fine since.