Anyone know anything about this???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul ron

Reaction score
I found an orchid upstate NY yesterday while looking for water by spring. Since I didn't have any color film with me I took a florete in my water bottle to scan today.

Anyone know the proper name of this orchid or anything about it??? See pic attached

Looks more like a purple fringed orchis. Cant tell whether it's a large or small. The rose pogonia would have a larger, wider lance shaped leave at the base of the flower and the stalk would be straiter. The triple-beard shown in the photo is a classic feature of the fringed orchis.

It's a scan of the orchid florete

The orchid has a cluster of maybe 20 of these 3/8" floretes, I just snipped one. I scanned it on my scanner, it's not a picture so it's a bit flattened.

I found it in a boggy open grassy field by a spring. I was wandering around looking for the water in mud up to my anchels. As I was roamning around I noticed these flowers, upon closer look, I noticed it had the typical look of an orchid.

I'll have to take it to the NY Botanical Garden to get it IDed. I'm sure it's not a rare species or even endangerd, I just want to know more about it.

Plus this is a first for me, I never found any growing in the wild.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Ummm... if it's rare or endangered, maybe you shouldn't notify anybody "official" that you picked it!

LittleBear, that's it.

LittleBear you got it, that is exactly the flower i saw.

It's not an endangered or rare species. Snipping a florete is not the same as pulling the plant up by it's roots and does no harm at all to the plant. I grew orchids once upon a time from seed and clones and had many different prized hybrids back quite a few years ago when i was a member of the Orchid Society, also liscensed to import form around the world.

That was a bit different form actually finding them in the wild. This is exciting to see them growing here in NY state. I really want to get to see the Lady Slipper that is more famous. i just never seem to hit the flowering season just right.

NY Wild Orchids at Paul Smiths

Paul Smith College has a wonderful trail, open to the public, with a boardwalk section built in a beautiful fen where there are flowering Pitcher Plants and 2 or 3 varieties of orchis/orchids. I believe it was this time last year when we visited there. I don't have my notes so I don't know the variety of Orchids. If you're visiting the Adirondacks check it out!

Posted by Tramper Al
and I was going to just snip off his tail so that I could get a positive identification

Very funny Tramper :) I've only had two close encounters with them and by the looks of their claws they'd probably rip your hand off if you tried!

Great...call someone an idiot...then expect/hope they take your advice. That's a wonderful teachable moment.

Maybe if this particular freaking "orchid" was leashed there wouldn't have been a problem...wait....that was idiotic.;)

:mad: ;)

Woodstrider, your post was deleted for inappropriate expression.

I would have preferred a private discussion, but the last time this happened, you did not reply to my PM. We try to be polite around here.

Peakbagr