Do I Look Like An Idiot?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about unsolicited advice on the trail?

• Total voters
"One of the most important components of outdoor ethics is to maintain courtesy toward other visitors. It helps everyone enjoy their outdoor experience."

Also from the same LNT principle:

LNT PRINCIPLE 7 said:
"Goofing off" or "pranks" are undesirable social behavior and may lead to serious or fatal injuries. Also "events" need to fit the setting - save game playing for the city park.

In addition to being nice, let's keep it serious, okay? If you want to play games, or engage in this so-called "goofing off", I can recommend several fine city parks. When you enter the backcountry, you need to act like a backcountry person. The ideal LNT Backcountry Person is like an EMS mannequin, but slightly less charismatic.

I'll have to make sure I communicate with no one while hiking, including letting them know that the sleeping pad that used to be strapped to their pack is now rolling back down the trail. I want to make sure I'm not considered one of THEM as THEY are all IDIOTS and shall avoid looking directly at or communicating in any way with the hiking gods.

Read through this and similar threads. Them is likely someone who has learned something and wants to spread the knowledge. Learning from "them" - also known as you - is the reason I joined this group and why so many view posts here. Since when does wanting to share knowledge automatically make the receiver an idiot? Sometimes people share knowledge because the're trying to let you know the've learned something. Or that they honestly believe that they're helping a fellow human being. Thanking them for thinking about you might just make their day...

"One of the most important components of outdoor ethics is to maintain courtesy toward other visitors. It helps everyone enjoy their outdoor experience."

Perhaps if we didn't think of our fellow hikers as idiots, tolerance and courtesy would be the rule and not the exception. :)

This guy said it. Amen.

Also the other 6 LNT principles are good to keep in mind...

Since when does wanting to share knowledge automatically make the receiver an idiot? Sometimes people share knowledge because the're trying to let you know the've learned something. Or that they honestly believe that they're helping a fellow human being. Thanking them for thinking about you might just make their day...

I think some people just come across to be condescending (hope thats how you spell it) and thats what makes all of this "advice" stuff a negative thing sometimes. Tones and expressions say it all, if you come across like you're giving orders or doubting their ability they are going to perhaps be offended. If you rearrange the words a bit and put a smile on your face, then they might thank you.

cushetunk said:
The ideal LNT Backcountry Person is like an EMS mannequin, but slightly less charismatic.
That's awesome.

As a group, women were far more accepting of a man hiking in a kilt than my own brethren.
When you wear a kilt, you have no brethren...:eek: ;)

Actually my older son just wore a beautiful kilt to the St Patricks Dance at school. 3 of his friends were to join him and they all chickened out. He was a hit.

Last edited:
I was recently relaxing on the southern peaks when a small group came by and began to engage me in conversation ( not that I wanted it). At one point they asked me, what time do you have to be down by? I asked what do you mean? They replied "dont you have to be back by a certain time" I said no i dont. they said wont someone be worried? I said, "no one is waiting for me", thay said " no one knows where you are? I said no. They said, that is not safe you should always leave a plan and timetable with someone, I said I dont think so, they said thats unsafe hiking, I said to the apparent leader, how many 4k's have you done? he said 27, I said when you get to a thousand, come back and maybe I'll listen, then they left me to die.:eek:

"One of the most important components of outdoor ethics is to maintain courtesy toward other visitors. It helps everyone enjoy their outdoor experience." . :)

Bright clothing and equipment, such as tents can be seen for long distances are discouraged. Especially in open natural areas, colors such as day-glow yellow are disturbing and contribute to a crowded feeling; choose earth-toned colors (ie. browns and greens) to lessen visual impacts.

Give me a break!! I'm real good about LNT. Don't tell me what to wear. That's too much. It's way too PC for me.

I can just see wearing browns & greens during hunting season and then blaming the hunter for being shot at. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The more you blend in to the environment, the harder it will be for SAR to find you should the need arrive.

I believe in not having an impact on the environment, but I'm not anywhere near as on board with being completely invisible to everyone else who is out there as well.

Tim

Again, I have to agree with Tim (tough boogers, dude).

I like to wear bright colors, especially when with Alex. Makes it easier for us to see each other in the unlikely event we should become separated, easier for SARS to find us if something horrible happened, etc.

Last edited:
When I was a newbie I politely ignored unsolicited warnings of incoming T-storms from descending hikers as I climbed Amonoosuc Ravine. Then I was running like a fool amidst lightning strikes on open ridge like an idiot.

The only advice I've ever given was when my wife and I were coming down from North Baldface. A touristy looking family without any gear at all was heading up, panting heavily, and asked us how far to the AMC hut and if it was too late for dinner. They didn't beleive us and kept going. They were irritated with our response:rolleyes:

I have no self esteem issues so I actually enjoy advice. Other than the T-storm warning years ago, it never means anything to me now. "You need to turn around now" I was once ordered by an AMC "leader" as I was enjoying a late day hike up to Mt. Chocorua for sunset. These things always make me smile.

Last spring I was enjoying some quiet time, sitting with a bull moose on the Kanc. A woman in a little sticker car from away stopped and warned me that her babies are nearby, I was bothering her and her babies, she will attack, I must leave. I just smiled and turned my back to her, hoping she would go away. If she wasn't such a demanding, know-it-all b*&#ch I would have gladly explained the bull moose antler cycle to her and her daughter. She eventually insulted me as uncaring and ignorant and drove away. She doesn't realize that the moose is at home and she is a tourist who has no experience in the area, despite all the reading she has done.

99% of advisors, in my experience, are just happy folks sharing info they think will be helpful. I just smile and thank them for their thoughtful gesture. I don't consider myself a know-it-all (that would make for a boring world). But these incidents of useless advice from well-meaning folks make me smile inside and be thankful to be a veteran. I admire the wisdom of older folk.

happy trails :)

Last edited:
I still think I get the prize for the strangest question when asked by a French Canadian if I were carrying a mouse under my goggles. No lie, ask Scoutmaster.

Mouse is''souris'', means ''smile'', maybe he was just asking you if you were happy to be on the mountain (Lafayette I presume).

About the whole unsolicited advices on trails, I have only one comment to make :

I love bushwhacks :D

About the whole unsolicited advices on trails, I have only one comment to make :

I love bushwhacks :D
You know, you should really stick to marked trails... lessen impact, LNT, could get lost in the trees, bothering the animals in their home... the reasons are endless.

You know, you should really stick to marked trails... lessen impact, LNT, could get lost in the trees, bothering the animals in their home... the reasons are endless.

Not to mention you won't meet people coming down to tell you "you're almost there" or that you should turn around because it's getting late.

Tim

Got a very good chance to give some good advise to a large group of college hikers we met at the traihead as we came doen from speckled mountain yesterday. We were "killed" from our stupidity of not bringing the snowshoes, and when these guys saw us and heard our story they quickly returned to their vehicles and got their shoes. We saved them a lot of agony, I'm sure.

Oh yeah, like that one time I got lost in the trees, and I asked a moose how far I was from the road. I got back safe, but the moose followed me a got hit by a car.

Got a very good chance to give some good advise to a large group of college hikers we met at the traihead as we came doen from speckled mountain yesterday. We were "killed" from our stupidity of not bringing the snowshoes, and when these guys saw us and heard our story they quickly returned to their vehicles and got their shoes. We saved them a lot of agony, I'm sure.

I don't feel shy about asking for trail beta. If someone else is heading down when I'm heading up, I usually try to strike up a conversation, chat a bit, find out what the conditions are, etc. Info like that is always welcome.

I don't feel shy about asking for trail beta. If someone else is heading down when I'm heading up, I usually try to strike up a conversation, chat a bit, find out what the conditions are, etc. Info like that is always welcome.

That's good karma Woodsxc...besides, you never know when you might meet a new friend, someone from VFTT, or learn something you didn't know before, even if it's unrelated to hiking. I view everyone I meet as a potential teacher...even the idiots.

Interesting thread. Some trail advice is driven by genuine concern, but I think most trail advice, AND most of the lengthy list here of "over reactions to trail advice" is driven by ego. BOTH the person who says "you should do this or that," AND the person who reacts "I'm angry because someone said something that underestimated my knowledge and ability" are letting their egos get the better of them.

One of the thing that bothers me about the advice giving is not ego driven, but is more like: "Why the heck are you, strange person that I have never met, ruining our encounter with your drivel, on such a beautiful day on a gorgeous mountain?" To that effect, I will generally gloss over any "advice" they have and try to move the conversation away from their bountiful (and no doubt, world-class) advice and onto conversation as to the mountain environs. What I find at this point is that the "jerk" contingent of hiking society will actually take offense at attempting to navigate past their sage tips and tricks, especially if I find it impossible to stop my grin from widening as the tales of certain death and dismemberment come spilling out.

Similar to what Dave said, I always think of the advice that the mythical Don Juan gave to Carlos Castenada in "A Separate Reality. Further Conversations with Don Juan":

"I am never angry at anybody! No human being can do anything important enough for that. You get angry at people when you feel their acts are important. I don’t feel that way any longer."