backcountry tent sites...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain

Reaction score
Hey gang...first off I don't have a WMNF guide book, perhaps this question is answered in there...at any rate, I was suprised and overjoyed on my Rocky Branch/Davis Path loop around Isolation a few months ago to see the established tent sites along the route (the little brown square tent signs along the trail)...I've never seen these anywhere else in my travels (perhaps because I'm not carrying a tent and looking for a place to set up camp)...I'm wondering if there are other areas with a healthy amount of established tent sites along lengthy trails?? I really enjoyed the variety and the relative frequency of these sites, they offer a lot more possibilities in the event of unplanned circumstances. Cheers,

They are in Wilderness Areas, both the Dry River and Great Gulf. There are several along the Great Gulf trail up to the Sphinx junction. In the Dry River they are on the Davis Path, Dry River trail, and Isolation trail.

-dave-

Note that you won't find them on newer maps but on older AMC maps they're shown with small triangles. I recall a posting saying this was because the USFS doesn't want them to be considered a destination unto themselves (even though that's pretty much what we all do, anyway).

Please note

I was in the Great Gulf about a month ago and a few of those sites are closed. I would suggest getting in before they are taken or you will be looking for a site that might not be there.

As for the Isolation area. There is a stretch around the Mt. Davis and Isolation area that has no site at all. Might want to plan for that. I didn't and ended up in a situation.