Madison via Daniel Webster and Pine Link

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mohamed was planning on hiking this on Saturday, but the weather was iffy so plans were changed. I arrived up at his place on Saturday night, met Judy, and we did a little route planning. It was a redlining affair, trying new trails to familiar summits.

I took off a little early as I needed to buy lunch food and gasoline, I met up with Mohamed, Judy, and Mike at the Daniel Webster (Scout) trailhead in Dolly Copp. They had dropped Judy's car at the Pine Link trailhead. We started up at 8:30, didn't see a soul until we were on the Osgood Ridge trail. The trail is steeper and rougher than the book implies and we went a little slowly.

Upon reaching the summit, Mohamed decided that his legs weren't up for the rough descent down Howker Ridge and Pink Link, so he elected to head down to the hut and descend on the Valley Way. After lunch we headed down Osgood, to Howker, to Pine Link, which was much steeper than the book implied. Notice a trend?

Great day to be above treeline, warm but not sweltering and a steady light breeze to cool you off. The rocks are still as jagged and difficult as ever, but great hiking companions made that easy to forget. Both trails are rough but great, it's a nice alternative loop to the usual suspects.

First set of photos
Second set of photos

-dave-

Dave: Outstanding photography as per usual. Our group of four were enjoying the beautiful morning on Sunday going to Jefferson from the Perch; good to see that the conditions were every bit as nice on the other side of Adams. I thought I recognized you while we were having dinner at Mooseland Grill in Twin Mountain, but I wasn't quite certain, and didn't wish to intrude. We have greatly enjoyed your website over the last several years, as well as Mohammed Ellozy's, and I frequently consult both when in need of information on places I haven't been, or a refresher on those I have. Happy trails!

David Metsky said:
The trail is steeper and rougher than the book implies and we went a little slowly.
Problem was not the steepness of the trail; it was me :( I believe that this picture shows clearly how I felt on the way up.

I am slowly recovering from the last episode of back-induced inactivity, but 4,000 feet of vertical seems to still be a bit more than I can comfortably do.

Upon reaching the summit, Mohamed decided that his legs weren't up for the rough descent down Howker Ridge and Pink Link, so he elected to head down to the hut and descend on the Valley Way. After lunch we headed down Osgood, to Howker, to Pine Link, which was much steeper than the book implied.
One of the smartest decisions I ever made! I hate steep, rough downhills, and would have slowed them down even more. I was very tired, but still was able to reach the road by the Valley Way about 45 minutes before my fitter companions reached it by the Howker/Pine Link combo.

The views going up Daniel Webster Scout Trail were wonderful, as it goes up open talus slopes before reaching treeline. Definitely something I want to do again when I can enjoy it more.

Last edited:
Great pictures Dave.

I'd just like to add - what a difference a day makes!

Bob

I argee with dave!! I found HOwker and Pine Link great trails! Did them after getting the "thumbs up" from Dave and Mohamed (on HOwker anyway) Thank you both, your advice is always right on the mark!

The Daniel Webster Scout will have to go on the list!!

Great photo's Dave. I had my first "camera issues" part way through the trip so had limited photos.

It's great seeking out the lesser used routes in the busy season and finding some interesting trails.

It was nice hiking all the way to the summit of Madison on a beautiful Sunday and not seeing any other hikers. I was surprised that we saw several groups on the Pine Link and there were more cars at the trailhead than I expected.

It was a tougher day than I'd imagined. I went through my 3 liters of water by the time we were 2/3 down Pine Link. A good day no matter how you look at it.

-dave-