Grid Finisher #9 - Dr. Dasypodidae

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thom -

Just wanted to add my congrats to your completing this list - big accomplishment.

When I was visiting the Whites recently I was surprised to learn that many people are working on the grid, and it reminded me of the comment you made on this board about doing the 48 in one winter. As I recall, you commented that if a person does a couple of hikes a week, then completing the 48 in one winter is within reach. That got me thinking, and the following winter Brutus and I did it, along with Lou C. Al D. had started with us but broke his wrist early on coming off N. Kinsman, but did a complete loop the following year. And when I looked at Eric's website recently I realized how much momentum has been generated in completing that winter goal.

In the same vein, many people do 2 rounds of the 48 in a calendar year. With that level of hiking completing the grid becomes rather doable, so long as people maintain some consistency and keep an eye on which peaks they do in each month.

Kevin

Congrats from a catskill 12x35er.(#7, I think).
Although different mountains, I'm sure the feeling of completing a great personal acomplishment is the same.

Thom -

Just wanted to add my congrats to your completing this list - big accomplishment.

When I was visiting the Whites recently I was surprised to learn that many people are working on the grid, and it reminded me of the comment you made on this board about doing the 48 in one winter. As I recall, you commented that if a person does a couple of hikes a week, then completing the 48 in one winter is within reach. That got me thinking, and the following winter Brutus and I did it, along with Lou C. Al D. had started with us but broke his wrist early on coming off N. Kinsman, but did a complete loop the following year. And when I looked at Eric's website recently I realized how much momentum has been generated in completing that winter goal.

In the same vein, many people do 2 rounds of the 48 in a calendar year. With that level of hiking completing the grid becomes rather doable, so long as people maintain some consistency and keep an eye on which peaks they do in each month.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin.

I stopped at the HC to say hello after the Carters on Friday night of the 10th, but the person behind the desk claimed that you were not registered. :confused:

I think that Brutus is responsible for the "all in one winter" and "grid idiot" mania in the Whites these days. :D

Both Cath Goodwin and Tim Muskat have hiked two rounds in one winter now (Tim's second round this winter, both solo as all of his winter rounds, was in 29 days, moving him into fifth place for the winter speed record). :cool:

Ed Hawkins is averaging close to five rounds each year, and should complete his 48x12x4 (four pure grid rounds) this coming February (somewhere around 63 to 65 rounds total by then). :eek:

With so many out there in the winter now, one rarely needs to break trail, even with the big snowpacks the past two winters. I am really impressed with some of the youngsters on this board who are tearing through the grid. A 48x12 grid is certainly attainable in three years (i.e., four rounds per year) by a full-time employed weekend warrior. I think that the ultimate challenge will be for someone to take a year off work to complete the grid in 12 months, which would require some real focus and persistence. :)

Also, thanks cbcdb (Doug), MtnMama, Barkingcat, and Mudhook51.

And, BUMP: free craft brews and appetizers during happy hour (3-5 pm) at Woodstock Station on Saturday, May 2nd.

Thanks, Kevin.

I stopped at the HC to say hello after the Carters on Friday night of the 10th, but the person behind the desk claimed that you were not registered. :confused:

I think that Brutus is responsible for the "all in one winter" and "grid idiot" mania in the Whites these days. :D

I agree - that's odd. I was there Friday nite - I checked out Saturday morning and after doing Madison with Al D. went to stay with my son that evening.

free craft brews and appetizers at Woodstock Station

Bump.

Just a reminder that I am hosting our own little north country 4000-footer or any other list banquet at Woodstock Station 3-5 pm this Saturday, May 2nd (happy hour). Possible brewery tour at 2 pm depends on how busy they are.

I think that the ultimate challenge will be for someone to take a year off work to complete the grid in 12 months, which would require some real focus and persistence. :)
There is a note on RoT about this. In addition to the above you need a fair passel of luck as an injury that sidelines you for even a couple of weeks in a winter month would tend to quash whatever you had done the rest of the year. Think N Kinsman and Carter Notch :-(

Oh yeah, I should add my congratulations too. I've got more years than that in but dub around with too many small peaks so may never do a grid.

Thom,
Congratulations!! It was great to celebrate with you, nice to meet new people!! I can only hope to accomplish the same? Kevin looks forward to working on Owl's Head :)

Thom,
Congratulations!! It was great to celebrate with you, nice to meet new people!! I can only hope to accomplish the same? Kevin looks forward to working on Owl's Head :)

Good turn out at Woodstock Station on Saturday afternoon-evening, with interesting mix of VftT, PVSART, and Armadillo Salvage affiliates. Perhaps 30 to 40 total coming and going, making the classic cocktail party residence time problem difficult to compute. Many thanks to all for attending. :)

Losthiker's reference to Owl's Head is that we are planning to survey the summit ridge from afar using a laser theodolite and two-way radios, so should be able to obtain not only the differential elevation between the "old" and "new" summits, but also true elevations for both, assuming that we can see our target from another known elevation, such as the summit of West Bond, South Twin, Garfield, Lafayette, or Lincoln. Stay tuned. ;)