Brooks who can cause trouble in may

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
I am planning our return to the White soon, and I am new in this region. :)

Can you tell me, what are the paths to reach summits of NH48 who have brooks that could cause problems in May.
Thank you for your advices.

Lincoln Brook and Liberty Brook (unlabeled on AMC map, comes down off Liberty/Little Haystack) en route to Owls Head on the Lincoln Brook Tr. Bushwack due north from the end of Black Pond Tr. @ Black Pond till you hit the brook to avoid the first crossing of Lincoln Brook and Franconia Brook on the Lincoln Brook Tr. Liberty Brook was tricky, but I barely made it dry w/o wading when I was there on Memorial Day a couple years back.

Thoreau Falls Tr. crossing above Thoreau Falls. Big consequences with this one! Although not on the way to any 4K footers.

Gale River is tough at high water on the Gale River Tr. on the way up to S. Twin/Galehead.

The Rocky Branch near the Rocky Branch #2 shelter on the way to Mt. Isolation. 3 of 4 crossings en route to Isolation on the Rocky Branch and Isolation trails can be avoided by bushwack.

Maybe some of the crossings on the Cedar Brook Tr. on the way to the Hancocks. Some of these can be avoided by bushwack as well.

Last edited:
Downes Brook en route to Whiteface/Passaconnaway approaches..actually -- most of the approaches from the Kanc side with "brook" in the trail name have numerous crossing that can be very tricky and have high water...the standard routesfrom Ferncroft (Dicey's Mill/Blueberry Ledges) are good choices this time of year. Dicey's Mill has one large-ish crossing but we were able to avoid it in high water last April by wacking upstream until we found a downed tree to be our bridge.

Last edited:
Mud season water! Watch out for

the Wild River and tributaries,

Dry River (most if not all routes).​

Good options include

routes out of Pinkham Notch,

Webster Cliff & environs,

Chocorua by Champney Falls,

Cannon from the ski area.

I would think high ridges like the Davis Path would be worth a look.

Good luck!

Little River to Twins and elsewhere

Carrigain Brook to Carrigain

note that your question was _may_ cause trouble, these and others mentioned previously are tougher after rains or warm days and may be OK

note that your question was _may_ cause trouble, these and others mentioned previously are tougher after rains or warm days and may be OK

Good point.

I go back and look at the options I mentioned, three of which I've been on once, under certain conditions, and then think I can speak for them otherwise?

How does one say "grain of salt" in high school French?

[How's this? http://www.google.com/ig?hl=en&referrer=ign_n: "Comment peut-on dire "le grain de sel» à l'école secondaire en français?"]