Bayle Mtn., in the Ossipees, April 18th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Thanks to Rocket21 for posting a recent TR about this beautiful mountain. It's about dead center of the Ossipee volcanic ring dike (OWIC). The trailhead is difficult to find. I found it off of Bayle Mtn. Road after a little searching.

a short distance into the woods...trilliums!!!

002.jpg

The trail climbs steadily through beech and oaks and boulders to the summit. It's a great short hike to a broad ledgy summit with wonderful views...

014.jpg

moose were enjoying the views at some time...

008.jpg

I've never seen so much moose and bear sign on a summit. The bears must be attracted to all the blueberries that grow on the summit of a mountain loaded with beech and oak...

022.jpg

heavily browsed moose maples on the summit...

021.jpg

view eastish...

019.jpg

view westish...

018.jpg

continued...

Last edited:
I bushwacked off the summit around the north and east and then south as I made my way down...

animal sign on a beech tree, knee-high...

024.jpg

more nibling on beech tree saplings.... porcupines?...

025.jpg

after a moose falls, the last thing to remain is a pile of fur...

005.jpg

more moose sign...

027.jpg

a nice warm spring hike!!! This hawk was hunting along Pine Hill Road in the afternoon...

114.jpg

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Super-great stuff, Patrick! With that type of hiking & bushwhacking, you truly live up to your namesake of being a “Forestgnome” :)

Thanks for sharing . . . I love your hikes and your photos!

Awesome! I'm glad you were able to finally make it out to the Ossipees! Indeed there is quite a lot of evidence of animal life around that awesome summit area - I think a bear frequents it in the summer, based upon what I've seen while picking blueberries up there :)

Thanks, all. Steve-O, looks like the remains of a moose after the critter had their meals.

I accidently put a few images on this TR that belong to another one I was trying to do late Saturday night. They belong to a hike to a moose area off the Kanc.

Thanks again, Rocket, for the TR on this mtn.

happy trails :)