Getting to Upper Works

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
This one should be easy. I'm trying to get to Upper Works from Boston.

When coming from Boston, Mapquest indicates exit 23 off I-87, from Albany, they decide that exit 26 is more fun (though from Boston I am routed through Albany along the same route - go figure), while other sources indicate exit 29. Which should I take? (I'm trusting exit 29 more from looking at a map) I'll be getting there well after dark...

Be Careful

The directions Maine Guy provided through Adirondack Journey are great, just be very alert. There's a reason why they provided pictures and miles to the tenth. it's easy to mess up and you will be coming in after dark.

I'd suggest taking exit 29 ... earlier exits will mean more time on winding two lanes roads. Exit 29 is the one for North Hudson ... you'll head west on what I believe is County Route 2. It's a pretty good highway, with some twisty turns as you get near the junction with the road for Upper Works. There will be a sign that says "Tahawas" and you'll turn right onto that road ... you will follow that road for a bit and then bear left at a junction in the road (there's a sign with an arrow that points to the High Peaks Upper Works trailhead) ... the paved road soon turns to packed dirt/gravel, and it can be a bit wash-boardy (how's that for a word). The road ends at the Upper Works parking area.
A side note ... a few miles after getting onto Rt 2, you'll pass by a buffalo farm ... if it's dark you'll probably not even notice it unless their sign in lit up. They sell buffalo burgers, steaks, etc., just in case you're interested (they're all frozen).

29!!!! Best route from your direction. kwc offered good advice.

You'll also notice shortly off the exit, the right turn into Elk Lake area.

Check Charlie's or Mav's website. They should get you there just fine.

Email or PM me if you want more specifics.

Depends where you are going, but there are a number of trailheads off Upper Works Road. All the way at the end is the trailhead into Flowed Lands/Lake Colden. Prior to this are trailheads off the side of the road for the Santanoni Range, Allen/Adams, and a few others less well known routes to other peaks.

Fred;

I still have not figured out how the upper works to flowed lands trail is uphill in both directions???

KZ

:D

Thanks all. I have good info from the time I stop my car. It was getting to the parking lot that was getting me. As far as driving in the dark - no problem. Road intersections are going in the GPSR to make life easier.

I think I've got it (WGS84 Datum):
Exit 29 to Blue Ridge Road (CR 2B)
Follow to Tahawus Road (CR25) N43 57.502 W74 03.174
Follow to Left Fork at Upper Works Road N43 57.786 W 74 02.948
Keep going to end at N44 05.463 W74 03.386

And then walk uphill: both ways.

kwc: Thanks for the info on the buffalo farm. I am getting a quick bite between the 2 legs of my trip. That might be the spot to get a burger for the grill. Of course, might not be the best time to test the stomach:eek:

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I have a suggestion to offer. The directions given above are right on. However, you might consider a detour that I use coming from Massachusetts. I always take 787 North to avoid downtown Albany. It may only save me 5 or 10 minutes, but it's a lot less wear and tear on my patience than having to deal with all that traffic, and merging, and lane changing, etc.
When you cross the Patroon Island Bridge on I-90,(Hudson River),bear right onto 787 North. Follow that until the exit for Rt.7 West, toward Saratoga. Rt. 7 will go about a mile, where you'll see the signs for I- 87 North. You missed downtown Albany that way.

Darkness

Are you hiking in the dark from Upper Works? If you are, I did that a few Novembers ago and the trail seems to drag forever. Conditions were muddy and slippery (not to mention 10 degree temps). Just be ready for that kind of thing, unless it is dry this time of year. I suppose the 3 beers I drank before starting out didn't help me much.

When driving up Route 25, if you hit a sharp turn to the right on a bridge, you've just gone past the left turn to the High Peaks trailheads.

I checked the mileage a couple years ago, but I can't remember it now. If I had to guess, I would guess it's five miles to that point, another five miles to the end of the road.

Santanoni Range trailhead is a side road on the left, no sign; Allen trailhead is on the right, a large parking area right next to the road, halfway between the Santanoni trailhead and the Upper Works.

Route 28N, the road between The Northway and Route 25, always seems to be foggy on September mornings. Don't know how it is late at night in the summer, but it's something to bear in mind. (Although I've never encountered any large animals along there.)

What are you planning to climb?

There is now a DEC sign at the side road that goes to the Santanoni trailhead ...

Sherpakroto - definitely follow Masshysteria's advice about 787 to 7 to the Northway - I work here in Albany and there's some major road repair happening on I-90 just west of the Hudson, between there and the Northway. Depending on when you hit it, it could be very frustrating to get stuck in when you're still over two hours from Tahawus.

SK,

Was there yesterday. Your plans look good, and exit 29 would be easier for it's one left off the exit, and a right turn at about mile 20 (or 21) at the sign saying Tahawus. Can't miss it. You'll also pass the Elk Lake road so you'll know where it is if you do your Dixes from there.

Careful with deer and possibly Moose. They roam the roads freely and I saw several by the roadside ready to test my reflexes.

When I come home from MA, I go the 787 way as well. The signs indicating 87 North are pretty easy to follow.

Have fun! The trails have been pretty empty lately, in fact I've had 8 of 9 summits to myself the last month.