Wrist-top computer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim lombard

Reaction score
I have the Casio Pathfinder altimeter purchased 3 years ago. I'm considering the Suunto Vector as a replacement for this.

My main frustration with the Casio is how quickly it burns batteries. I get about a year out of the Lithium. There's a little metal band that holds the battery in which requires very delicate manuevering to get the battery out without breaking it (which I've broken.) I just sent mine to Timemasters and they put the battery in, re-calibrate the barometer, time, date, etc, check the gasket and mail it back for about $20. I wouldn't mind this if the battery lasted two years or so.

How difficult is it to replace the batteries on the Suunto? Do the batteries last longer?

I have the Suunto X6 which is similiar. The first battery only lasted three months out of the box, which was pathetic. The second battery lasted me ten months. The good news is the X6 takes a regular watch battery you can but at any store. I'm not sure if the Vector has the same generic battery setup. The battery is simple to take in and out. I now carry an extra battery with me.

Adrian

I bought a Suunto Observer two years ago at EMS in Lake Placid and got it for a good price and on sale. I opted for a Suunto over some of the others because you could replace the battery by yourself and didn't have to send it in like you do with some of the other altimeters. The salesman told me the battery should last at least a year. So far I've had it two years, have gotten lots of use from it, and have not replaced the original battery yet. Yeah, I know, it's overdue for a new battery.

BTW, I love my Suunto Observer, and it's proven very accurate and reliable. Just before hikes, I'll set the altimeter at a known vantage point (like where I live), as you have to do with any altimeter due to barometric changes, and it's never let me down. It takes a while to learn how to use all the functions and modes, but this has been a great altimeter, and I wear it as a watch every day.

I agree with Steppinwolf that I really like the watch. It is one of my favorite things. (as you can see I have no life.) Suunto just sent all the good batteries to EMS in Lake Placid, and boned us LL Bean people in Maine.

I just sent my Suunto altimax back for repairs. Eight months out the barometer sensor died. They tell me turnaround time is about three weeks. So much for the summer hiking and biking season. :(

Vector

I have been the happy owner of a Suunto Vector for 4 years now and have no complaints. I would buy that same model again cuz I also have an E-Trex GPS. If I didn't have any of the two, I would probably buy a GPS with a built in barometric altimeter. I only use the GPS for mountaineering and trekking.

I have a Suunto Vector and it's been working pretty well. I have the original battery and it has lasted for about 1 1/2 years now. Since I haven't replaced the battery yet, looking at the directions, the battery is easy enough to replace. Quality has been excellent, and I never had a problem. So if you're in the market, I would recommend it.