Fir Brook (Catskills)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mink319

Reaction score
I have not hiked near the Fir Brook myself so I do not have any direct experience.

According to GORP brown and brook trout fishing is productive in the Fir Brook. Much of the brook has been state owned since the 1950s. The trail maps show a 2 mile stretch of state land along Pole Road in Sullivan County. I recall reading (and it is readily discernible from the topos) that the Fir Brook was the original course of the west branch of the Neversink. The upper west branch was diverted by glaciers and captured by the east branch of the Neversink. This fact (along with centuries of beaver dams) contributes to Fir Brook being generally wide and flat.

Today I went to the Fir Brook and the Willowemoc area. The Fir Brook was rather small, too small for canoeing. I tried the fishing on the upper section first which meandered through spruce bogs, and there were no trout just Blacknose Dace. Further down there was Brook Trout where the water was flowing. The area is somewhat remote, with lots of conifer bogs and small lakes. I will definitely go hiking there in the future. Its not the kind of place with spectacular mountain vistas, but nice lakes and bogs with lots of wildlife and good fishing. A great place to XC ski in the winter.