Old Man of the Mountain "Restoration"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of thought we had heard the end of them trying to "restore" the old man shortly after it fell. I remember it had been suggested and people were really against the idea.

Something like this plan came up soon after the rock face fell, but I thought it had been shot down as rubbish immediately. Hard to understand why some humans just can't leave things in the natural world as they are and somehow think that we can fabricate and improve upon the natural order of things. Sigh .....

Fat Chance

What do you think the odds are of the flinty citizens of NH letting some fancy-pants intellectual from New Joisy ( with a summer home, no less) stick a garish monument to his own ego on their mountain? (Outside of the people who would benefit from it financially, of course)

I am guessing this goes nowhere.

The last quote pretty much sums it up for me...

"We always took pride in it being a natural wonder," said Jill Roy, who runs the gift shop at the Tramway. Anything else on the cliff, she mused, "would just take away from that."

Yea, lets spend millions on something that's probably gonna fall back down in a few years, great idea. I'm sure it wouldn't be a big fat lawsuit for the state when it takes people inside it down with it. Figures this originated in New Jersey. Walkway and a waterfall? Come on. I'm with Tim, this is going nowhere. At least I hope so!

The Old Man stood sentinel over the Notch for many years. His work is finished, let him rest in peace.

n523928481_1262644_6242.jpg

The last quote pretty much sums it up for me...

"We always took pride in it being a natural wonder," said Jill Roy, who runs the gift shop at the Tramway. Anything else on the cliff, she mused, "would just take away from that."

I totally agree.

And, if some sort of memorial is to be built, I like the one proposed by Maggie Stier of the Old Man of the Mountain Legacy Fund -- simple and not freakishly outlandish like the Francis Treves proposed design.

(I know Stier -- she works for the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance and the National Trust for Historic Preservation -- and is a good egg.)

Merit Award for Unbuilt Architecture

Juror Comments: This is a very interesting, creative concept—a thoroughly investigated and carefully designed intellectual piece. The idea of putting people inside the structure to look out is original and deals with what the stone face is now... in people’s memory. It is not trying to put the past back, but helps one understand it. We are not in a position to, nor do we want to, comment on its appropriateness as a real project, but the idea represents a new way of thinking and helps to continue the dialogue about memorializing the site. This is a clear, iconic, strong presentation and very well drawn.

There are a few pictures of models of the project on the page, about 1/2 way down.

Maybe a smaller project to start...how about a giant styrofoam boulder,like a movie prop, and we can jam it in the Flume where the original one was washed out?:D

I know there's other pics out there, but here's the general idea:

http://whitemountainart.com/OnePageImages/flume_jfk_105.htm

Just think though, with the passing of time, someone, somewhere out there will be the last living person to have seen the OM with their own two eyes. Just like the oldest living confederate widow.

fancy-pants intellectual from New Joisy

In defense of our flatlander friends...I know of two individuals from New Jersey that have transplanted themselves to New Hampshire. One is a published writter and knows more than anybody (no hyperbole) about the White Mountains known by most VFTTers. The other is a scientist and devotes much of her time to conservation in the area.

Also, as pointed New Jersey has a lot of its own natrual beauty. (even though my wife doesn't live there anymore)