The Journey is Often As Rewarding as the Destination (Mt. Roberts: 03-May-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Zman and I began our day according to the modus operandi that is normal for both of us. We usually leave at some loosely specified time in the morning, and often without a firm idea as to our destination. On this particular day we eventually settled on hiking to Mt. Roberts. We selected this particular destination for several reasons, one of which is that hiking in the Ossipees is always enjoyable! Also, we both are a bit weary of hiking in the spring-conditions above the notch.

We knew that the trek to Mt. Roberts wasn’t long enough to fill an entire day, but that was OK since we both had plans for later in the day, and so we didn’t have an entire day to hike anyway. You might say that our journey actually started in Moultonborough where we stopped by to see SilverFox at his place of business. We had a very nice visit with him, and then continued our journey on down the road a bit further to the trailhead for Mt. Roberts.

As we strolled our way up the perfectly groomed trail to Mt. Roberts, we saw signs of spring along the way. There were a few plants that were blooming, but not as many as we had anticipated that there might be. However, at this time of year, a day or two (or sometimes even an hour or two) can make a huge difference. And so, the next folks who hike this trail will most likely have an entirely different experience with the plants in bloom. Below are some examples of plants in bloom during our hike.
100_1627.JPG
100_1628.JPG

We also had the “pleasure” of experiencing our first insect bites of the season. Oh joy!
And speaking of insects, there were other things “blooming” other than plant-life.:eek:
100_1632.JPG

Shortly after reaching the summit, we had another experience that added to the pleasure of our journey. And actually, it was one of those unbelievable coincidences that sometimes happen and just defy all the odds. Last weekend on his way back to Boston, Zman did a short hike to Dickey Mountain. He later e-mailed me about having met two very nice guys from Vermont during this hike.

Well, guess who just happened to show up on the summit of Mt. Roberts?! Yup, the same two gentlemen that Zman had met on Dickey. Of the hundreds of other hikes that are available in NH and VT, what are the chances that these same two guys would choose Mt. Roberts and would arrive at the summit at nearly the same time we did?! It was a delight for me to have the pleasure of meeting these two hikers. They graciously agreed to have a photo taken of them.
100_1620.JPG

So, thus far on our journey, we’d had a fun visit with SilverFox, plus we’d seen a few spring flowering plants, plus we’d had the totally bizarre chance-meeting with the two hikers from VT. In addition to all this, we also had the pleasure of experiencing the fine views that are available from the trail to Mt. Roberts. However, this particular day was a bit overcast and so the views were slightly less dramatic than they can be. But nonetheless, they were still pretty good. Below are photos of a couple of vistas.

View Southward Over “The Big Lake”
100_1622.JPG

View Toward the Mountains Up North
100_1618.JPG

And just as we thought our pleasant journey might be coming to an end, we decided to stroll over to the small pond located near the trailhead. Here we were treated to view of a solitary duck posing for us on the pond. And, we could see fish swimming in the pond. We rewarded both the duck and the fish with a few left-over trail snacks. The duck quacked with delight, and the fish leaped and splashed for joy! Below are photos of our feathered, and our gilled (not grilled!) friends.
100_1654.JPG
100_1648.JPG

Oh! And watching over all the proceedings at the pond is a handsome and quite “statuesque” fox!
100_1637.JPG

So, there you have it. A very enjoyable journey which was totally unplanned and simply unfolded as it happened. Many of the best hikes are like that!

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Heh heh John, I get a chuckle reading about those two guys you had met before. It reminds me of a little experience Russ related to me. You see, a couple years ago we set off on a Fool Scout mission to deliver Ice Cream Sundaes on Mt. Lafayette to thru hikers. We wound up only meeting one true Thru Hiker, but we did manage to serve at least a hundred people between the summits on North Lafayette, Lafayette and then Greenleaf hut. Two of those people were a couple guys from (IIRC) Scotland on vacation. Fastforward about a year later to the 4th of July weekend last summer. Russ decided late in the week to make an ice cream sandwich run up on the Presidential Range where a VFTT group was doing a Presi traverse. So there is Russ handing out ice cream from the Summit of Pierce all the way out to Monroe. Who should he run into????.....the Same to Scots he met the previous year and who were, once again, on vacation! :D

Brian

What a great series of events during your hike!! Actually we have taken more time this year to enjoy these small things, since we don't have a goal as we have had for the last three years.
Now we are free to hike our favorites just for fun and with no time constraints, and , I must say, I am liking the change.

Great report as always John with nice photos

Ossipees certainly a worthy destination..some great views up there..

hummm..that looks like my younger brother..brownish redd fox lurking by the trout pond..

thanks to you and Zman for stopping by to chat..always a pleasure

I did manage to catch up with Rocket..phew I'm still winded..for a couple of miles off and on trail in the 'Snakes in the afternoon..legs feelin' good..

Last edited:
Thanks for a very entertaining TR. We were planning to do Roberts this past W/E but I chickened out and opted for Champney Falls instead.
Definately on my to do list.
Sandy

We were planning to do Roberts this past W/E but I chickened out and opted for Champney Falls instead.

Did you happen to summit Chocorua on Sunday around noontime via an untraditional route?

Thanks Barkingcat and Forestgnome for your complimentary remarks!

Below are some other comments on responses received from others:
Heh heh John, I get a chuckle reading about those two guys you had met before. It reminds me of a little experience Russ related to me. . . Who should he run into????.....the Same to Scots he met the previous year and who were, once again, on vacation!
Now that was a very funny story . . . and yet another example of one of those improbable coincidences!
What a great series of events during your hike!! Actually we have taken more time this year to enjoy these small things, since we don't have a goal as we have had for the last three years. Now we are free to hike our favorites just for fun and with no time constraints, and , I must say, I am liking the change.
I know EXACTLY what you mean! I would never, ever fault anyone for being tied to a list(s) since that would be like faulting someone for preferring Coke over Pepsi. But my preference is not to be tied to lists. I find it so liberating!
thanks to you and Zman for stopping by to chat..always a pleasure
No thanks needed, Mark . . . you’re a fun guy to chat with! It was our pleasure!
Thanks for a very entertaining TR. We were planning to do Roberts this past W/E but I chickened out and opted for Champney Falls instead. Definately on my to do list.
Sandy
Sandy, definitely keep Mt. Roberts on your “to do list” until it gets done.
I think once you’ve done it, you’ll probably put it on a “to do AGAIN” list! It’s a great hike!

Last edited: