Oh my aching post hole! (Eisenhower Pierce)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

5/2/09-- Went up Crawford Path to the Mizpah cutoff. About thirty minutes into the hike, Crawford Path turned into monorail with some thigh deep post holes if you miss stepped. Used my microspikes but would have been okay without them. More postholing up Mizpah to the top of Pierce. From there it was nice clear summit with some snow between Pierce and Eisenhower. From Eisenhower to Edmonds Path where things got really harry. The traverse was about 4 feet deep and was tricky to get around the bent over trees without falling down the mountain. Once the traverse was over it was posthole city. Fumbling and bumbling down, being as careful as possible. No real monorail to speak of, just unpacked snow. Shoes would have been nice but we still had a great time. What a great day for a hike. I was very grateful to have my trekking poles for the traverse section. Spikes are nice for the way up Pierce but are not needed fro the decent as the snow is deep and not at all packed. We did it all in about 6.75 hours. That includes the 2.3 to the car down the road.