Cool Nature Guide from GMC

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toe Cozy

Reaction score
Springfield, Springfield!. Avatar: Spruce Peak Kim
As a thank-you for a recent donation to GMC I received their new publication entitled Nature Guide to Vermont's Long Trail: A Quick Reference for Hikers written by Lexi Shear. I have not read all of it yet, but so far it seems worthy of a mention on this forum. It has a little bit of everything: Geology, Climate & Ecology, Natural Communities of the LT, narrative about interesting features as you go South to North along the trail (using the same Divisions as the LT guide), Plants and Fungi of the LT, Animals of the LT. Some nice color plates at the end for ID'ing stuff you might see along the way.

If you already know lots about this stuff it's probably not a book for you. However, to me it's more engaging than your average field guide because the narrative ties things together and provides an excellent context for discovering the natural communities while actually out hiking!

Enjoy!

, narrative about interesting features as you go South to North along the trail (using the same Divisions as the LT guide), Plants and Fungi of the LT, Animals of the LT. Some nice color plates at the end for ID'ing stuff you might see along the way.

Sounds interesting. Most trail guides I see offer only info about parking, difficulty, distance, gain and views. Most nature guides offer, for example, most wildflowers people would notice in the northeast. I'd like to see a guide that shows most of the flora and/or fauna seen on the trails of a region. Don't know if that's practicle, but it would be nice.

happy trails :)

Most trail guides I see offer only info about parking, difficulty, distance, gain and views. Most nature guides offer, for example, most wildflowers people would notice in the northeast. I'd like to see a guide that shows most of the flora and/or fauna seen on the trails of a region.
One edition of the Maine AT Guide was so much like that with the distances etc. on the back of the maps, that most hikers left the guide at home :)