NH Fish and Game Merger?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
As noted on the F&G website (http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/) SB 132 is working its way through NH legislation.

"The bill calls for the merger of the departments of Fish and Game, Cultural Resources, and Agriculture, along with the divisions of Parks and Recreation, and Forests and Lands into a newly established Department of Natural and Cultural Resources; AND merging all law enforcement functions, including Fish and Game Conservation Officers, under the Department of Safety".

This is being proposed as a efficiency/cost cutting measure which, if done correctly, makes sense in any large organization. I'd like to hear how those more involved and educated in state government think this would impact operations.

I'll bite at a small part of this.

Alaska tried merging its fish and wildlife enforcement troopers into the regular trooper force. Resource protection and morale suffered, as predicted, and they went back to the original arrangement.

I'm personally opposed to such mergers, which are often proposed by politicians across this country with an eye on budgets and little experience or interest in resource protection. Conservation officers go into the profession because they love the outdoors and want to help protect our resources. (It certainly isn't because of the pay and prestige they receive, especially in this state.) Moving them into the Department of Public Safety is unlikely to enhance their effectiveness or their motivation, IMO.

Agriculture and Fish/Game both have special constituencies so this will never fly. DRED is already a catchall and perhaps could be split with forestry to the Ag Dept and parks and economic development to Commerce Dept.

I'm not sure where the synergies are that would save any real money.

The supposed point to all this is to save money. According to the Hawkeye article I read the F&G receive only $50,000 for the general fund, and Agriculture's budget is a fraction of one percent. Not much money to be saved in either case, and this is merely the State trying to show "Hey, see, we are trying to save money in tough times" when there is better places focus could be spent on cutting budget costs. And as mentioned previously both departments have totaly seperate purposes that don't mesh well with each other. The FIsh and Game is a self sustaining entity that needs a little financial bolstering due to rescues rising costs.

Brian