Allen Mt. as a Day Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adksteve

Reaction score
Looking for advise about doing Allen as a day hike. I don't mind being on the trail in the early hours if thats what it will take. I have heard all kinds of stories about this hike and realize that many prefer to make this a two day event but I don't have the time and I would prefer not to attempt this one during the winter months. I've hiked 15 to 20 mile days recently and some of those included 2 to three peaks. How long will it take and is this a fairly reasonable objective - Thanks for the input.

You can do it as a day hike, but you will be tired and happy to see your car. See my recent trip report. We began at 6:30, moved at pretty quick pace, and were back at 4:00 (including an hour on the summit). Have fun, and be careful on the descent.

Alain Chevrette (PinPin) has hiked to Allen and back in under six hours. When I first did it, solo, it took me 11 hours and one minute. When Susan and I did it together last year it took us 11:55. There are a few good vantage points near the summit; take some time and look around for them.

Get the directions fixed in your mind before you go, so you know which way to turn at the various intersections, then you can march along as quickly and steadily as possible. Watch out for one stretch along a muddy "road" where, as you approach an open field, the trail suddenly turns left into the woods, becoming a narrow foot path again. Also, the herd path wasn't nearly as well flagged last autumn as it was in 2001, but the way is pretty obvious.

Most of all, enjoy it. It's one of my favorites.

I have been up Allen twice. I agree with the time estimates. For a lot of the trail you can move along pretty fast. The areas with blowdown have been cleared or flagged. On the summit if you look around you can find good views, especially north. Many people feel Allen was one of their least favorites due to the length, navigation required, and the wooded summit. For these same reasons I have enjoyed my hikes up Allen.

We're doing Allen as a day hike Saturday. I'll be posting a trip report. I have a very detailed description of the hike in a word file - if you can PM me your email address I'd be glad to send it.

KZ

Thank's for the Input

Thanks again for the great responses. My son and I are planning this around the beginning of August.

How would you know, Alpine!?!?...........

As you climb the slide, think of me last March flying down it doing the buttslide boogie at about 30mph laughing at the top of my lungs. Definitely the longest walk (11+hours in a snowstorm) to the greatest fun in the winter high peaks.

Start early, take your time, for Allen rocks!

Make new friends

ADKSteve:

Our group did Allen last Saturday as a dayhike. GPS readings showed just shy of 19 miles and a little over 2300 feet elevation gain. We kept a moderately slow pace and made it in 13 hours. I think you'll find 10-13 hours to be average. If you are used to 15 to 20 mile days with some elevation gain you should have no problem.

We did hear that if you are lucky enough to have a friend who is a member of the "East River Club" you can access the herd path by car and save about 12 miles round trip. It may be worth finding such a friend. I don't know what the 46er's take on this option would be though.

Definitely can be done as dayhike

I did it last November, when the slide was ice covered. I recall that it took us about 11+ hours. I am a fairly "slow" hiker. We started around 7:30 am, and walked out in the dark around 7 pm. I was with people who had done it before. I wouldn't have attempted to walk out in the dark if I was on my own, as there are a number of turns you need to make that I probably would have missed in the dark.

Great Info Folks

I have this on my calendar for August 5th - I'll hope for better weather than all the rain we have had the last few days. My son and I plan on completeing the 46 peaks by October 9th with Marcy which we are saving until last. We started last September and continued through the winter. We had to take a break for 2 weeks for Boy Scout Camp but we will be on the trail at least once a week until the Marcy trip. Thanks for the help!

It's all about conditioning. If you are in good shape, Allen in a day is no big deal. But those last few miles on the way back will seem endless for sure! I was part of a group once with a guy who wasn't in shape and he almost literally didn't make it out that day. The last few miles took many hours.

Staima and Allen

Agreed. Stamina is the ante for the game on doing Allen. Or perhaps it is like having money in the bank when you write a check. To attempt Allen without stamina is a sufferfest at the least and dangerous at the most.