Thread: Hiker Rescue - Mt. Jefferson

Hiker Rescue - Mt. Jefferson

I heard about this on the WMUR 11 oíclock news last evening, but canít seem to find it on their website this morning. Maybe Iím just overlooking it. Also, didnít seem to find it on the Union Leader website either, but again, maybe Iím just not with it yet this morning!

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=10336795

I saw that in the Conway Daily Sun this morning as well, but couldn't find anything in the Union Leader or Boston Globe.

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    "called for help around 8 p.m. .........but neglected to bring headlamps."

The cell phone has a light, no?
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Another story from NECN that is basically the same as the previous article except it says they needed a rope to get them across the river:

http://www.necn.com/Boston/New-Engla...241963082.html
    I don't believe in lists to enjoy the outdoors. My dog never did ..... Just enjoy the ride.

www.hikesafe.com

No headlamps is pretty dumb on a May, Mt. Jefferson hike. Glad they had sense enough to not try and ford the swollen river. Perhaps Israel River?
    Last edited by TDawg; 05-11-2009 at 10:38 AM.

I'll bet they never go out without a headlamp again. I made that mistake once when I was young and stupid (well, more stupid) on my first-ever hike, Mt. Monadnock. I found out then that it gets really dark at night on a mountain.

Now I always carry one regardless of the time of year or the length of the hike. You never know when you might get stuck out in the woods after dark.

TV reports

A little off topic, but note that both reports were by television news rooms, not newspapers.

It's an AP story - it was in the Globe this morning, and on the Concord Monitor's website as well - I didn't bother to post the links because they didn't contain any new info.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Goffstown NH, Avatar:Sending out praise for the Red, White and Blue
    Hey, sometimes we learn our lessons the easy way, sometimes the hard way. Like has been mentioned...I doubt from now on they will head out without a flashlight or headlamp.

Brian
    Adopter: Wildcat Ridge Trail from Rt.16 to Wildcat "D". If you have any issues please contact me!

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    I'll bet they never go out without a headlamp again. I made that mistake once when I was young and stupid (well, more stupid) on my first-ever hike, Mt. Monadnock. I found out then that it gets really dark at night on a mountain.

Now I always carry one regardless of the time of year or the length of the hike. You never know when you might get stuck out in the woods after dark.
    Same here -- a few years ago, in the Utah desert -- not fun. And I was old and stupid, then. I'm older and just slightly less stupid now, but better prepared.

Hey guys, i dont but do post alot. but read it everyday, but i feel that this year seem a ton of people having problems. Are these people pushing to much and not using there head. Are they not prepared, not checking weather. It must be something, cause they are getting helped way too much this year.

Or maybe they just forgot the headlamp? I've done that once, luckily we didn't need it anyway.

Or they had headlamps, but the batteries were dead?

Just a couple of possibilities, don't forget that we never get the whole story.
    [B][SIZE=3]Patricia Ellis Herr (TRISH...ALEX...SAGE)

Those who say it cannot be done should get out of the way of those doing it. --Chinese proverb.

For more info about The Terrifying 25, contact me at patriciaellisherr@hotmail.com or search for The Terrifying 25 on Facebook.

Well from what i been reading with the 17yr boy,it was just not smart. and we dont hear the hole story, but what we hear from the story, it makes them look bad to the public and nonhiker. i seem to have to explain to freinds what they maybe did and didnt do.

In another incident involving hikers yesterday (May 10, 2009), 38-year-old Keith Owens of Cambridge, Mass., was rescued on the Gorge Trail on Mt. Moosilauke in the town of Benton, N.H.*Owens was hiking with three friends he had met on the website Craigslist.*He was wearing blue jeans, a fleece jacket and sneakers, and had a garbage bag as emergency rain gear.*On his way up the mountain, Owens suffered leg cramps, but the group forged ahead instead of turning back, and used a cell phone to call for help once reaching the summit of Mt. Moosilauke at about 1:30 p.m.*With a nasty combination of rain and sleet blowing in, the hikers separated and began moving down the mountain.*They were met by a crew from the Warren Fire Department, which helped Owens out of the woods at around 5:00 p.m.*"These hikers were not prepared with provisions or gear for that type of weather, and did not stay together as a group," said N.H. Fish and Game Department Conservation Officer Gregory Jellison,
    who interviewed them after the incident.*"They were extremely fortunate to come out of there with just cold feet."*

This explains it all

Quote Originally Posted by stocks View Post
    In another incident involving hikers yesterday (May 10, 2009), 38-year-old Keith Owens of Cambridge, Mass., was rescued on the Gorge Trail on Mt. Moosilauke in the town of Benton, N.H.*Owens was hiking with three friends he had met on the website Craigslist.*He was wearing blue jeans, a fleece jacket and sneakers, and had a garbage bag as emergency rain gear.*On his way up the mountain, Owens suffered leg cramps, but the group forged ahead instead of turning back, and used a cell phone to call for help once reaching the summit of Mt. Moosilauke at about 1:30 p.m.*With a nasty combination of rain and sleet blowing in, the hikers separated and began moving down the mountain.*They were met by a crew from the Warren Fire Department, which helped Owens out of the woods at around 5:00 p.m.*"These hikers were not prepared with provisions or gear for that type of weather, and did not stay together as a group," said N.H. Fish and Game Department Conservation Officer Gregory Jellison,
    who interviewed them after the incident.*"They were extremely fortunate to come out of there with just cold feet."*

Kudos to the folks from the Warren Fire Department -