Conditions in Tuckerman Ravine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I might heading up to tag Washington very soon. Just wondering if any snow is
still lingering in the area and if so, will I need to take along some traction. Thanks in advance.

Conditions

I was in the ravine on May 8 & 9. Top third of trail going up to the ravine was still solid snow cover, as was the bowl itself. Ski or hiking poles seemed to be sufficient. Trail up headwall is closed, but Lion Head summer route is now open, although ice axe/crampons are recommended for one section.

Was there on Sunday (yes, in the rain and snow and WIND!). We appreciated light traction on the higher portions of the "highway," especially on the way down. Our plan was to go to the bowl to watch the skiers and boarders. That didn't happen, as the conditions were so poor and everyone we spoke to who was coming down said they didn't even make the attempt to ski.

There is good trail info with actual photographs over at T4T: http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11706. Don't know if cross-over is welcome, but that's a good source. See also the web-cams: http://mountwashington.org/weather/cam/ravines/.

Here's one I don't quite get: the good folks over at http://www.tuckerman.org/photos/tucks/ quip
"2009-05-08 Crevasses in the Lip.JPG Why bother even thinking of this when there are far better options available?"
and then don't add photos of those better places. Wha's up widdat? I coulda used a photo of Hillman's, but I got it at T4T, so it's fine.

The person at the desk at PNVC last night said that the Boott Spur Link is open and shouldn't require technical aids (i.e. ice ax and knowledge of its use), but may not be clear of blow-down. Don't know if you wanted to go there, but I do, so I asked. Maybe it helps you.

Good luck!

Conditions in the ravine? Its May, bring your skis/board/sled! ;):D

Come July/August its time to ask if snow is around.

Last edited:
Lion Head summer route is now open, although ice axe/crampons are recommended for one section.
Would you expand on your comment, please? Would you say that in this section
  • there is a what you would call a no-fall zone? or that
  • an ice axe will actively be used, in hand, for either safety or poling? or
  • both?
In your opinion, could a hiker with crampons, poles and experience safely cross this section?

Would you expand on your comment, please
That's close to a quote from the current avalanche bulletin. The people who practically live in the ravine, know it better than anyone, and are responsible for rescue recommend ice axe and crampons.

I haven't done a snow climb of the summer route, but I wouldn't attempt it without the ability to self-arrest.

You have to cross a snowfield on the Summer Lions Head route. If you were to fall and slide, you could pick up speed fairly quickly if the conditions are right. Many folks hike it without crampons or axe. It's a danger, but you'd have to evaluate for yourself if it's one you wish to take.

Thanks for the data.

I've been above it and have seen the pics: if it's a bulge with a long slide and more than a few seconds of exposure, I'd probably pass.

Separately, the newest material from T4T shows tremendous coverage in specific spots! Really good data comes out of there.

Still haven't heard an actual eye-witness to the Boott Spur link; gotta get from HoJo's to the lawn if I'm gonna take another shot at Monroe. Would also appreciate a word on the Nelson Crag Trail if anyone's been there. I'm assuming that the Alpine Garden Trail can currently be traversed without trashing the area; if anyone can speak that, too, that'd be helpful.

Thanks again....