Re-routing Lower half of Fishin' Jimmy (AT)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan207

Reaction score
I have from time to time heard from reliable sources that they are going to re-route the lower half of Fishin' Jimmy. Some of these sources say its gonna happen this summer. Does anybody know anything about this? I do know that there is a major bog bridge replacement project about to go down around Lonesome Lake, much needed and more bog bridge replacements on the Southern Presi's near Jackson (they are mysteriously sinking into unknown depths of mud..) Anyway, any information on this would be interesting...

If by "Fishin' Jimmy," you mean "F*%$IN Jimmy," then I think I know the trail you're refering too. :p;) I don't mind it much goin' up though.

But really, I don't see much real need for a re-route.

Last edited:
I must be odd

Fishin' Jimmy is one of my favorites... In the cold. The cool ice formations are endless.:)

If by "Fishin' Jimmy," you mean "F*%$IN Jimmy," then I think I know the trail you're refering too. :p;) I don't mind it much goin' up though.

But really, I don't see much real need for a re-route.

Yeah, thats what I call it at times too. As far as re-routing, I thought maybe it doesn't need a re-route so much as it needs some extensive trailwork. There is some really bad erosion in some places...

Don't know , but I can't imagine they'll move it away from the hut , which I think is where it officially starts . I may be wrong about that though . It's been so long since I've been on the Fishin Jimmy that I don't remember just how bad it was ....or wasn't .

Dave

Have not heard anything, as far as my memory of the trail goes, it all depends on the time of year. When it's dry or in deep winter, it's pretty nice.

When the snow is rotten & hiding puddle or when the snow is melted, it's more swamp like. (just three trips for me so far, Feb :D, Oct :D & a rainy April :eek:so I've seen about all the conditions the lower half has to offer. (Did meet another VFTT'er that rainy day though:D)

I Love this trail

Everytime I take this trail, I always tell myself "This is the last time!"....I've said that 5 times now. I find myself on this trail not because I'm a big fan of the Kinsmans, or the Cannon Balls" (is that one word or two), but I am a huge fan of the "Fishin' Jimmy" Trail.

This trail is a perfect example of the typical trail lay-out of Charles Blood (and crew). Layed out in 1929 and opened in 1930, Mr. Blood and crew opened many new trails that connected sections of the Whites that were isolated.

This might not seem important now but back then this was a very big deal. Connecting all these separate trail system together made the AT possible.

Now we have a problem after 80 years?

Yes, the trail is used more today then 80 years ago but what trail isn't? Many hikers look for, want, need, desire, a long, hard, difficult, strenuous trail too tax their brains and muscles.

Could every trial be re-located for better footing, less steep terrain, better views... Yes

Should they be...NO. We have to start looking at the trail system in the Whites not as "just" trails (a footpath to get from point A to point B), but as a walk into history. If you start dissecting a trail, you will find a history lesson in each one.

IMHO:D:D:D
See you down the trail....Walker

Last edited:
Official Word: No Re-Route, sort of. I contacted the AMC and got a call back from the man in charge of that area; there will be a short, temporary re-route near the hut as they complete the work around there. No permanent/extensive re-route.

This trail is a perfect example of the typical trail lay-out if Charles Blood (and crew). Layed out in 1929 and opened in 1930, Mr. Blood and crew opened many new trails that connected sections of the Whites that were isolated.
Actually I think of it more as an example of the excesses of '70s trailbuilding when the AMC suddenly got a lot of money to rebuild the A.T. and wanted to prove you could make the trail go anywhere. For example they chiseled steps on both sides of a rocky ridge instead of just circling it. A lot of the stuff they built (like the 4x4 pinned to rocks) has quietly gone away.