Mt Madison/Adams/Jefferson via Valley Way/Gulfside Trail - 05/15/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMan

Reaction score
Mt Madison/Adams/Jefferson via Valley Way/Gulfside Trail/Valley Way

Date of Hike: Friday, May 15, 2009

Trail Conditions: Bare to 4200' some monorails above that to Hut, bare above treeline

Special Equipment Required: Barebootable, Poles useful

Comments:
Nice sunny day to not be working and hiking instead! Valley Way was clear from snow until just past the tent site. Most of the monorails could be avoided but a few required stepping on. Snowshoes just didn't work on a V shaped monorail so I barebooted. The snow was soft so easy to kick in foot holds. Some post holing if you miss the packed snow. A couple of new blowdowns on Valley Way from Thursdays wind but were easy to step over but too big to move. Once you emerge from the trees the snow is gone. Trail to Mt Madison and Adams was bare. Gulfside Trail to Mt Jefferson still has a few snow fields that cross the path by barebootable with careful foot placement. Snow is not very deep so it should be all gone in a week or so.

This trip was the LAST free ride my snowshoes get. I'm leaving them in the car from now on!