Sleeping Giant

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
Ok it is just a small weenie mountain of a little more than 300.0 feet (yes the decimal is in the right place). It was my first hike since getting hit with Lyme Disease. so..going up and down the tower road to the first white trail which brough me up and over the chest, my knees bent without pain. the birds were singing (ovenbirds, wood thrush, scarlet tanager) there were no chipmunks or deer. The loop took me 45 mins.

Next time the only specail equipement needed is a garbage bag...that place gets trashed...

Ok it is just a small weenie mountain of a little more than 300.0 feet (yes the decimal is in the right place). It was my first hike since getting hit with Lyme Disease. so..going up and down the tower road to the first white trail which brough me up and over the chest, my knees bent without pain. the birds were singing (ovenbirds, wood thrush, scarlet tanager) there were no chipmunks or deer. The loop took me 45 mins.

Next time the only specail equipement needed is a garbage bag...that place gets trashed...

WHAT, no pictures? I learned this past weekend that these little weenie mountains can be quite charming in their own way. We did Gilmore Mt. in Acadia during vacation...approximately 500.0 feet! BUT...what a view and a charming "summit". I'll try to remember to post some pictures when I get home (can't use Flickr here).

WHAT, no pictures?

I don't want to highjack Puck's thread, but since you ask, I link eight photos I took on Sleeping Giant in 2007 - the last 8 of 16 from a group hike that was Part 6 out of a traverse of Conn., from the Mass. border south to LI Sound, in 7 installments. It's a great little mountain with a slew of trails - I recall that there is trail-map on-line somewhere.

Puck - Welcome back. Will the Regicides Trail be next for you?

As someone who grew up in Hamden and owned a house in Cheshire, Sleeping Giant is one of my favorite places to go and hike for several hours when I couldn’t head north. I would usually park off of Tuttle Ave. and take the red trail to the violet trail to the eastern part of the park where no one goes. On the way back I would take the green trial to its end, and then bushwhack back to the red trail. If I wanted some additional exercise, I would pick up the blue trail over the “head” and hike back to my car via the quarry road. Lots of deer in the park.

Puck - I bet it felt great to get back out...Sleeping Giant is a really nice place. I was there last month, now that my office is in New Haven, a few co-workers suggested it and I wasn't disappointed (except for the rain that morning).

If you live nearby and want to get out there again, let me know...I live in NY, but come to New Haven twice a month, and would like to get back over there after work. Also, Sasquatch, any info on the area around Meriden would be appreciated.

A few pics of mine from there...

Sounds like a great little hike. Hope you're feeling better soon Puck. It's great seeing and hearing all the songbirds back in the woods.

yes actually "weenie" mountains can be charming. To think when they were formed Africa and Europe were moving out of th eneighborhood as Pangea was breakingup. These moutains have unique habitat as well. I did not mean to be so degrading. I do enjoy them. Including Regicides and Quinnipiac trail etc.

Winter Warlock let me know when you are in NH haven next we could hook up perhaps.

yes actually "weenie" mountains can be charming. To think when they were formed Africa and Europe were moving out of th eneighborhood as Pangea was breakingup. These moutains have unique habitat as well. I did not mean to be so degrading. I do enjoy them. Including Regicides and Quinnipiac trail etc.

Winter Warlock let me know when you are in NH haven next we could hook up perhaps.

NICE pics of this little mountain!!! Looks like some FUN scrambling...

I was wrong...my weenie mt. wasn't Gilmore...it was Gorham (still in Acadia). Here are some pics: