BSP permit question..

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
If I want to stay at Campground#1 on 1 night and then campground#2 for 2 nights after, however, I am flexible, I could possibly switch the two around, how do I put that on the form?

Also, how flexible is the park on late additions? (obviously not more than the max size per site). I doubt I'll have a final headcount til July, but would be nice to be able to add people and then pay the difference at the park (cash only)..

Jay

p.s. Anybody interested in some BSP peakbagging in July? :D

Usually I submit multiple itineraries sorted by my preference. The reservation staff is very good at figuring out what you are trying to do and will give you a call if they cant make it fit.

You could in the past add people to the reservation up to the day you are at the gate as long as you are under the maximum capacity of the particular site. If at all possible, try to stop by the park headquarters (near McDonalds in Millinocket) and get it straightened out before you hit the gate. You just pay for the extra guest at the gate. It can get tricky if everyone shows up at different times in different vehicles. I would recommend that you give a copy of the reservations to everyone and make sure you are at the gate first to straighten out the reservations and number of people. If in doubt call the office, I think they take credit cards now. The other reason to call the office is to make sure that the 20% of the campsites reserved for Maine residents for two weeks in advance are all booked, otherwise you may be able to score a night at a better site (like Chimney)

Where it can get real screwed up is when a disorganized group (VFTT?:D), books a group site and no one is actually in charge.

I put top three preferences on the form, and then I wrote under "What I really want is two nights at x, y, or z campground and one night at a, b, or c." I also had the advantage of a flexible enough schedule that I could say "whenever"--I didn't plan the trip until the envelope came back!

I think we are fairly flexible, so I will try to attach a small readme file to my permit to explain the choice...

Thanks
Jay

Just for a clarification, does BSP not let you into the park for a day hike -say, if the parking lots are full?? Hoping to do the 'loop' from Roaring Brook.

Just for a clarification, does BSP not let you into the park for a day hike -say, if the parking lots are full?? Hoping to do the 'loop' from Roaring Brook.
If the lot at Roaring Brook is full then you can't go up there. They'll let you in to go to another trailhead, but that'll be a different hike.

Moral of the story is to get there early or stay inside the park.

BSP limits the number of day use cars that can go and park at Roaring Brook. These usually are the first ones taken in the morning. Plan on getting in line at the gate early (4:30 to 5 summer weekends). When Roaring brook, Katahdin Stream and Abol have their quota, they close down the day hiker lots and anyone else wanting to climb the mountain are told to pick another mountain (like the Brothers, Coe, Doubletop or OJI to name a few). Are there ways around it? probably, but as many have mentioned in the past, Baxter is fairly strict on their management of the park, cross the line and they can be very unfriendly.

There used to be a way of reserving a day hiker parking space for Maine residents at some of the parking lots, but I dont know if its still in place.