tabletop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
will be doing tabletop this weekend, a couple of questions. first my book(which is 8 years old) says go past indian falls, where adirondack journey web page say it starts before indian falls. which is correct? also, how do you know you are at the summit? there is no canister or marker i was told. do you just climb untill you cant climb anymore?

would you believe after i posted this thread i went to trail conditions and there it was. i never saw a trail condition for tabletop there before. thanks anyway

I was up there on Saturday, the peak has a sign; "Tabletop". The trail was a bit hard to ID as for the initial portion it had trail markers and I wasn't expecting any.

As for before or after Indian Falls I guess that depends on the direction you're coming from?

Warren's right, depends on the direction you approach.

I have a pretty accurate description on "how to locate" the herd path start - HERE - (with a picture).

I came in a less common route, but you should find it by reading it. It is to the Eastern side of Indian Falls.

Let me know if you need more.

Last edited:
Coming from the Loj it's just (a little bit, not too far, I don't remember exactly from 2 years ago) a tad before Indian Falls at a sharp turn on the Van Hovenberg Trail. Coming from Indian Falls I think it's easier to miss it than if going towards the Falls (I was coing from Falls & Colden via the Crossover, a nice trip BTW) Back in 2002 there was no sign but if you start goind down towards the other peak on Table Top , a non High Peak (In NH with 200 foot col rules it would be another 4k) then you went too far. With teh sign, it seems pretty easy to now when you arrived.

Is there a new High Peaks Guide coming out soon? Mine I think is dated 1992 or 1995, the Canisters are gone, & some trail-less peaks are being marked. (Iroquois, Table Top)

The herd path to Tabletop begins where the ski trail rejoins the hiking trail just below Indian Falls. It is marked with a cairn and a red disc on a tree.

If you come up the hiking trail and don't make the right turn you run right into it.

KZ