The meaning of Memorial Day

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianW

Reaction score
Sometime this weekend please stop and remind yourself the true meaning of Memorial Day. A day set aside to remember the brave men and women who gave the supreme sacrifice to protect this great country and our freedom. Also thank the men in women that are serving or have served in protecting this great land.

We may have different religous believes and political views but we are all Americans first. God bless.

I am sure many viewers and members of this hiking community have friends or family who are or have been in the military or are or have been in the military themselves

WHAT IS A VET?

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye. Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg - or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity. Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem. You can't tell a Vet just by looking.

What is a Vet?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She or he is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

He is the POW who went away one person and came back another. Or didn't come back AT ALL.

He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the parade-riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket palsied now and aggravatingly slow who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being, a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank You. That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.

Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU."

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Last edited:
Its true, Ive never served in the military, but my hats of to all of them. I can run around this country anywhere I want and do what I want when I want too, Why, because of those who made my freedom so, thanks to all that serve.

Though it goes a little farther back in time...

Don't forget those who saw the glint of British bayonets at dawn and stood firm as the lead flew from the Brown Bess.....

"If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier."

I have a great appreciation for all those who have served. Too much PC BS out there. GOT to be able to thank a Vet !

What is a veteran?

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of up to and including his life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it." - Unknown

Keith

Thanks for the thread. I was listening to sports talk radio and the host asked military personell to "please call the show; this is your day." All due respect for the present military, we don't memorialize the living.

Thanks, Dad, for helping beat the Nazis back out of France at age 19, and then understanding the insults from the French when what was left of your unit didn't leave the next day.

My dear Grandfather served in World War 2. His dream was to fly for his country, but when he entered the war there was such a backlog in traning that he was wait listed and in the mean time sent to mechanics school. His war was spent on the Island of Guam fixing and rebuilding the carburetors for the engines on B-29 heavy bombers. His war ended before his dream of flying was realized, so he came home, married and raised his family in the town of his birth. I remember my Grandfather as the quiet, caring man with a warm grin who looked back on his little contribution to the war effort with pride. The family always smiled when he would reflect back on his days on that little island. My grandfather passed away a few years ago. I miss him dearly. :( RIP Pepe.

Brian

In gratitude for all our military, past, present, and future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ETrr-XHBjE&feature=related

EagleWithFlagWar-paint.jpg

Last edited:
Much of my childhood was spent in the small town of Northfield, Vermont, a community that boasts a strong patriotic and military tradition. When Memorial Day comes each year I reflect on the park and swimming pool the townspeople joined forces to build after World War II. A simple granite monument at the site is engraved with words that say with eloquent grace what this special day is so much about ...

G.

View attachment 3043