Bears at Colden??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfger

Reaction score
Appreciate any update on bear situation at Colden. Couple years ago, when I was last out there, they were pretty bold and active. Have there been any regulation changes regarding hanging food?

Thanks.

The bears are bad out there right now. There are not any new regs yet but starting next year you will have to have a canister. There are also cables there to hang your food on and your better off with one of those if you can find one. Also your better off hanging your food about 1/4 mile from camp back in the woods off the beaten path. The bear are likely not to find your food bag.

Good Luck,
ADAM

see this post re: bears at Colden:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=3022]

Also your better off hanging your food about 1/4 mile from camp back in the woods off the beaten path. The bear are likely not to find your food bag.

Don't count on it. Black Bears have a wide range and WILL find it. If they haven't in the past, you've either been lucky or there have been easier pickings nearby.

Last edited:
I agree, the bears will find it even 1/4 mile away. They have very good noses. We stayed in colden last month, and hung a "fake" bear bag. We put some pots and pans, and a couple of rocks in a garbage bag, and hung it from the cable system provided by the rangers. Our food was safely stored in a Garcia. Sure enough, around 8pm (dusk) a HUGE bear showed up and rattled our line. I looked out from the leanto, and when the bear saw me it ran off. Upon further inspection, the bear had knocked our container on its side, but our goodies were in-tact. A container is the only way to go if you are in the adirondacks, and like to eat.

-percious

The people who hung their food at Feldspar this weekend lost part of it to the bears. Our group used bear containers and had no problems

Bears at Colden

The bears are all gone.

They have left for vacation to the Florida Keys.

Leave all food in plain sight, or causally hanging from a handy tree branch.

Duh.:D :D :D :D

Bear cannisters are the only way to go

This past weekend another hiker told me that on the night of 7/17, half of the bear bags on the cable at Lake Colden were taken by bears. He happened to be one of the lucky ones, whose food was not taken.

And as Daxs mentioned, a bear bag hung at Feldspar Lean-to area was ripped open by bears on the night of 7/18.

Lets face it, we're feeding the bears by continuing to use bear bags. The bears have got it figured out. I'm really glad to hear that cannisters are going to be required soon, because its the only way to go. I realize that the expense of buying/renting a cannister, and its bulkiness are drawbacks, but losing all your food deep in the backcountry can quickly end a long planned trip. While we were out there, we met lots of backpackers who had very little or no knowledge of bear cannisters.

For the sake of the bears and the backpackers, we need to get the word out to start using cannisters NOW, even though they are not required.

I agree. Bear containers should be made manditory. Sooner or later we will hear stories about bears attacking people to get at their food. An ounce of prevention... Besides, nothing ruins your weekend like having to leave early because you are starving.

-percious

Yosemite Success Story

I was amazed how much of a difference the bear cannisters made in Yosemite. I was always skeptical, and hate more rules and regs, but have witnessed the effects...

I agree with percious and crazymama !!:) :)