Mendon Peak - AMC Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HockeyPuck

Reaction score
After reasearching several mapping sources for the logging road that starts at Killington's Bucklin trailhead and follows Eddy Brook all sources seemed fairly consistent except the VT DeLorme guide which labels the logging road as the "AMC Trail".

The route had no trail markings, signs or flagging and I wonder if the AMC intends to adopt and maintain a trail to Mendon or if my VT DeLorme atlas needs an upgrade?

Thanks

I've never heard of that trail, nor recall seeing any signs for it when I've done the Bucklin trail. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

FWIW - the AMC does not have a chapter in VT, although I believe one did exist at one time. Last time I saw stats, about 3,200 Vermonters are AMC members. The common wisdom is that most Vermonters who want to volunteer time to support a club direct their efforts to the GMC.

I climbed Mendon a few times, and have always done it from the height on land on US 4, following the LT to where it turns left near a ski slope. At this point, continue uphill, crossing the slope, and follow a ski trail to the summit. If you spot a vehicle over at Killington, you can return to the LT and continue on to Killington.

There's no sign of it in the '99 or '02 LTGs, although it is peripheral to the LT. And no menton of it in the '90 Day Hiker's Guide to Vermont. I'll check some other sources later. I wonder if DeLorme meant to label it as "GMC," which would make two mistakes on its part.

This is from the VT Dept. of Parks, Forest, Recreation on VT natural areas:

"21. Mendon Peak Natural Area. 90 acres (state-owned portion above 3200 feet), Coolidge State Forest, Town of Mendon. This is a remote high-elevation forest of red spruce, balsam fir, white and yellow birch, and mountain ash. Mendon Peak has a small area of dwarfed shrubs and alpine plants and supports a diversity of woodland bird species. There is no trail access."

Vis a vis the ongoing Ossipees thread, maybe we should all just leave it at that. Over & out.

After reasearching several mapping sources for the logging road that starts at Killington's Bucklin trailhead and follows Eddy Brook all sources seemed fairly consistent except the VT DeLorme guide which labels the logging road as the "AMC Trail".

The route had no trail markings, signs or flagging and I wonder if the AMC intends to adopt and maintain a trail to Mendon or if my VT DeLorme atlas needs an upgrade?

Thanks

My USGS maps (Maptech and Topo!) don't show the Eddy Brook logging road going all the way to the Long Trail/At (which it does). It's easy to follow all the way although a couple of the stream crossings might require getting your feet wet. When I hiked it last summer as part of a loop trip with the Bucklin, I would say it's getting some maintenance.

Mendon Peak is officially trailless but as an AMC hundred highest it is visited frequently and there's a good herd path that's easy to follow *from* the summit to the Eddy Brook logging road.