Grafton notch to Lightening ledge...water?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Hi all...

It's about time for hubby and I to actually GET to go for a nice long hike. We are planning to go from Grafton Notch parking lot...via the AT over W and E Baldpate and then turn around and go back once we get to lightening ledge. I figure this is about 13'is miles (maybe a tad more if we decide to take the table rock trail and play in the caves). We figure we'll be on that trail by 6:00 am and just hike till we want to turn around! (any unforseens that I'm not aware of that could foil this plan?)

Anyway, we like "cook" on the trail when weight isn't such an issue and we can actually STOP and enjoy (i.e.NOT in the winter!). The only times we've done to W. peak (the 1st one?) was in January...so I've no idea about water sources between here and there. I know there is a camp site about a mile from W peak...but, that will probably be too soon. Any others we will encounter after E. peak?

There are shelters on the AT near where you'll be and tentsites on the Grafton Loop Trail off of the AT.

If you're headed to Lightening Ledge, you're most likely taking the Grafton Loop Trail off of the AT. Here's a map of the area (showing shelters and tentsites), from the Maine Appalachian Trail Club's website. There are a couple of tentsites off of the Grafton Loop Trail near Lightening Ledge with water at both. There's other information on the Maine ATC site, too, that you may want to check out, including trail distances, etc.

Enjoy!