Mt. Esther

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pookster2

Reaction score
Does anyone know why there are no pins made for Mt. Esther? Perhaps this is a silly question, but with many of the other High Peaks having not only pins, but patches...

Perhaps it was a personal request, but I am wondering if it had anything to do with the fact that it is the only mountain discovered by a woman, or if it was because it was an accidental discovery...

Do you mean a High Peaks Memories pin? None of the "trailless" peaks have them.

Susan's made some for Cam by purchasing cheap pins and covering them with modeling clay. In fact, her design for Esther depicted a large cat footprint, because we discovered a large cat print superimposed on a boot print while we were hiking down. It was a little spooky, particularly because Esther was our first trailless peak, and it made me feel like we were being stalked.

I thought Esther Mc Comb was a man??? In regards to the plaque on Wright, I was up there last summer and was able to find it. It is on the North side of the mountain. There is a little ledge which drops down porbably 5 feet and then a faint trail which you follow around to the northwest side of the mountain. Wish I had better info but that's all I can remember.

Are you talking about those rectangular pins you see for most of the high peaks? The ones they sell at the Loj and other places? My girlfriend was interested in getting one for each peak and noticed there were a number missing - she asked at the Loj, and what they said was that the people who made the pins didn't have good photos to work from for all of the peaks, that they were missing a few. It sounded like once they had good photos to work from, they'd complete the set. Don't know how accurate this info is, I'm just passing along what we were told at the Loj!

AS,
Your memory is probably right about the plane crash. Although I've not been able to locate the plaque either, I've got some friends who had gotten off the Calkins route a few winters ago and found the plane wreckage. I've also heard some eerie tales about seeing ghosts wearing summer clothes and sneakers near the summit in the dead of winter, and mysterious footprints in the snow that just end near the wreck. A highly respected professor was one of the eye witnesses who I first heard the story though.

BOOOOOOOOOOO!

As far as the pins go,

I know many peaks are not available,

Sounds like a good business or fund raising opportunity....

Last edited:
If my memory serves right...

Esther is the only High Peak named after a woman. I think she was one of the earliest 46'ers, not to mention one of the first women to achieve the goal.

Sorry, I can't help with the pin thing though.

DeadFred said:
If my memory serves right...

Esther is the only High Peak named after a woman.

Hopefully, that will soon change with Grace Peak. :)

As far as crashes are concerned, there was a decent THREAD on the subject awhile back. There are a few sites, one is apparently a Non-fatal crash from the 50's off the Ward Brook trail (and easier to find).

There is also another crash site (that killed 5 in 1971) on the North side of the peak. I spoke to a guy on Macomb that runs a camp in Saranac Lake and the owner (of the camp) was of the first responders to find the Plane. I have a general idea of that location too, but have not been there. I like to scope out both someday.

Brad, stop it......... Your scaring us :)

p.s. The Mountaineer makes there own pins, but also do not have them all. Only the ones they think will sell. My kids collect them and imagine thier chagrin when they asked for Cliff and Redfield and got a "are you joking?" from the salesgirl.

Last edited:
No no no...

For crying out loud.

Esther McComb was a 15-year-old girl who lived near the mountain back in the 1800s, long before the Forty-Sixers existed. She tried to climb Mount Whiteface but ended up on the unnamed peak next to Whiteface. If memory serves, she had to be rescued; the mountain was named in her honor.

The plaque reads....

" 1838 - Mt Esther - 1938"

"4270 feet"

"To commemorate the indominatable spirit of Esther McComb age 15 who made the first recorded ascent of this peak for the sheer joy of climbing"

Troy 46'R NY