My 1st winter of hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Inspired by Sasquatch's georgeous 48's photo album...and the itch of not having done much hiking in the last month...I've put together a short photojournal of my first winter of hiking (ok...so, I started this journal in Oct 08 and end in April...not really winter but...there was snow so, for me, it counts ;)). Not as exciting, but...it's mine. Just a single picture for each month. The whole album here:

October: Baldplate loop.

Being convinced that winter hiking was just plain silly...I really was a bit nervous when I saw what looked like SNOW up on Avery peak:

3577420170_872fbed414_b.jpg

November: Saddleback

Still not really "winter" hiking...but, not owning gaiters or any sort of traction, it was a bit intimidating when the guy at the lean to said "oh...there's snow up there. GOOD LUCK!"

3577423340_388820516d_b.jpg

December: Mt. Blue

Now I actually own SNOWSHOES! Hey, this will be easy, I've used them in the backyard. NOT!!

3577386570_d383b1f785_b.jpg

January: Baldpate

2nd times a charm...owning snoeshoes but NOT foot traction...we were turned around before W. Peak earlier in the month...but not THIS TIME

3577395342_4c18b44d2d_b.jpg

February: Two days on Adams

Other than it being REALLY cold...I think I was really getting this winter hiking thing. What a GREAT trip this was!

3576589205_f77bb3cc39_b.jpg

March: Mt. Madison...again, take two

After the debachle on the Scar Trail...we had an awesome hike up Mt. Madison, Mt. JQ Adams, and Adams...met my first VFTT'ers on this hike. Couldn't ask for a better hiking day.

3577409724_7b82b27ce4_b.jpg

April: Old Speck

Again, one of the best hikes...but, couldn't believe the amount of snow up here...6 feet near the top. But...spring is here down below. Wow!! survived my first (hopefully of many) winters hiking the mountains.

3576597111_a180851069_b.jpg

Great job! I completely remember that October, November, and December feeling myself not too long ago on my first real Winter hiking season. It is an acquired taste, but a great one once acquired! :)

Mary --

It's a rewarding endeavor to hike in the Whites, and even moreso, I think, in the winter. Welcome to winter hiking.

I'm sure that many of us on this forum went through a similar evolution to what you did, learning how to use snowshoes/crampons, etc. and pushing the envelope as our skill sets grew. I think that you're in good company, in that respect.

I feel like spring is going by pretty quickly. And while I enjoy summer and fall hiking, sometimes when I'm out on the trail during those seasons I miss the winter and think about the snow to come.

Thanks all...

I agree about winter hiking.

Although I am happy to not have to pack so heavy...and to be able to STOP and enjoy the trail, breaks, lunch...the summits...hubby and I were reminiscing about how we miss the views that you get on the trail during winter...when the trees are bare.

I guess when it's a true love...you find something to love about EACH part of hiking season.