We had to put Genie down today

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrey

Reaction score
To our friends...
Genie developed a liver inflammation (chronic active hepatitis) that progressed so fast in the last week that we felt we had no choice but to put her to sleep. It appears to be more common in Labs than most other dogs. We were offered steroid therapy but her life wouldn't have been the same.
We don't yet know what caused the hepatitis... but I would urge dog owners to read up on leptospirosis, a bacterial infection. There is a vaccination (that was never offered to us) that isn't perfect, but it may have prevented this.

Genie was a free spirit of the outdoors and we'll be grieving for a while.

--Pat and Audrey

I'm so sorry to hear that. What an awful decision to have to make, even when it is the best one.
-vegematic

Dear Pat & Audrey
We're So very sorry to hear about your dog.
This is so sudden & so sad
They are like children to us
& it just breaks your heart to have to
make this kind of decision

I am so so sorry. I know that there is a huge empty spot in your home and your heart right now...such a difficult decision but you gave her the most generous gift --the gift of release...my heart and thoughts go out to you both. Godspeed, Genie, you will be so missed.
{{{{hugs to Pat and Audrey}}}}

A terrible loss. She was a love.

I'll always remember her roaming ahead and then looking back as if to say "Hurry up you slow pokes!"

aah.jpg

Genie, RIP

Words cannot describe the shock we felt when we saw this. We know first hand how close you were to Genie and how hard this decission must have been to you both. You are all in our thoughts. If we can do anything at all to help please let us know.

I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sorry I never had the opportunity to run into Genie or either of you. Such choices are one of the most difficult we make in life. You surely made the right choice to make sure your friend didn't suffer needlessly or go through life less than what she was. From what I hear, you gave her a great life.

Last night a friend passed the following onto me and the timing seems appropriate:

There is a book called Dogs Never Lie about Love by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson. His last paragraph in the book sums it up:

"I am not a religious man, and I pause before using the word soul. But my experiences with the dogs in my life, and now with Sash, Sima, and Rani, convince me that there is some profound essence, something about being a dog, which corresponds to our notion of an inner soul, the core of our being that makes us most human. In human animals, this core, I am convinced, has to do with our ability to reach out and help a member of another species, to devote our energy to the welfare of that species, even when we do not stand to benefit from the other - in short, to love the other for its own sake. If any species on earth shares this miraculous ability with us ...it is the dog, for the dog truly loves us sometimes beyond expectation, beyond measure, beyond what we deserve, more, indeed than we love ourselves."

That is such a beautiful memory, BobandGeri. Thanks so much for posting that. I am hugging Terra and asking her if her good friend stopped by on her way "passing through". I will never forget Genie's generosity, she let Terra play with all her toys and sleep on the bed with her and Pat. Genie put any Hoover to shame and always made sure there were no scraps to clean up after Pat and Audrey's wonderful dinner parties. Genie had wonderful "dog parents" -- she was truly blessed to have landed with you and I know you both feel like you were the true lucky ones. She was a wonderful dog, one of the great dogs of the world and I will think of her tommorrow as I hike along. She will be remembered so well by so many.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I have followed Genie's adventures in the mountains with you with real enjoyment because it was always so clear that each of the three of you was doing what you love with those you love. They say time heals, but I still miss every dog I've ever had the privilege of "owning." I'll miss reading about your Genie too.

Been there done that:(...It's a tough decision, but if it needs discussing it's usually for the best...Please except my heartfelt condolences..Shiloh sends out a woof too

I am so incredibly sorry to hear this sad news. She was a good dog, and will be long remembered.

Audrey and Pat,

Lauren and I will never forget what a fun loving dog Genie was, especially the episode where she chased after some ducks and Little Bear and Craig directed her back to shore, paddling a canoe with a broom!

You both will clearly be in our thoughts and prayers.

Best regards,
Lauren, Marty, Lian and Bemis

Last edited:
My condolences - its never an easy decision. In March we had to put down our oldest lab, Jet, due to kidney failure (she's in the back of my avatar). Lepto was a possibility, but it turned out not to be the cause. And yes dog owners should definitely be aware of it.