We had to put Genie down today

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Pat and Audrey,

Please add me to the long list of people who are so sad for your sudden loss. I never had the pleasure of meeting Genie, but after seeing how much you 'ohhed' and 'ahhed' over all the dogs passing by the hut a few weekends back, I am sure she lived a grand and much loved life with her human 'packmates'.

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness. It is here on earth and has four legs!

I am sure Genie is happy now, roaming the trails, rolling in mud puddles and waiting very patiently to look back one day (very very long from now) and see you coming up the trail to her.

I will give Geneva a few extra hugs and kisses and pats for Genie.

~ Christine

Pat and Audrey,

Its so hard to read the posts, can't imagine what you guys had to go through.
I am so sorry for Genie's passing.
From all the tales, just a great dog whose life was made better that she was part of your family.
My deep condolences.
I've shared this before with friends who've lost a treasured companion.

The Housedog's Grave
by Robinson Jeffers

I've changed my ways a little, I can no longer run with you in the evenings
along the shore, except in a kind of dream, and you, if you dream a little,
you see me there. So leave a while the paw marks on the front door, where
I used to scratch to come in or go out, and you'd soon answer, leave on the
kitchen floor the marks of my drinking pan.
I cannot lie by your fire all evening, on the warm stone, nor yet at the foot
of your bed, no, all the night through, I lie alone. But your kind thought
has laid me less than 6 feet outside your window, where firelight so often
plays, and where you sit to read, and, I fear, often grieving for me - every
night your lamplight lies on my place.
You, Man and Woman, live so long, it is hard to think of you ever dying!
A little dog would get tired, living so long. I hope that when you are lying
under the ground like me, your lives will appear as good and joyful as mine.
No dears, that's too much hope... you have not been as well cared for as I
have been, and never knew the passionate, undivided fidelities I knew.
Your minds are perhaps too active, too many sided, but to me you were true.
You were never Masters, but Friends. I was your Friend. Deep love endures
to the end and long past the end... If this is my end, I am not lonely. I am not
afraid. I am still yours.

We've contacted the breeder, and our November potluck may just have a new little guest for you all to meet.

Love to all.

--Pat and Audrey

:) What better way to honor the memory of Genie than to keep spreading that doggy love and joy ... I am happy for your decision, you are a wonderful home for dogs and this little pup is going to have an amazing life! Oh, and please call on us when you need "socializers" !

Thank you all again for your kind messages.
We've contacted the breeder, and our November potluck may just have a new little guest for you all to meet.

Love to all.

--Pat and Audrey

I am so happy to hear this! Can't wait to meet the baby out there on the trails
Sandy

One more of Genie, waiting for Mom and Dad on the trail.

a07.jpg

Audrey and Pat,
I'm just getting around to reading about this and am so sorry for your loss. Too bad Genie couldn't have made the beer nights, as that is where I've met you. Your avatar of her sweetly covered by that blanket will be indelible in my memory.
Heartfelt whimpers from our greyhounds, Lizzie and Phillip. And may she meet up with Maggie whom we lost to cancer. Maggie was very kind and will befriend Genie when they meet.

So sorry to read this. Our four legged companions leave such an impression on our souls. Though I never met Genie I am sure she was the best of companions, and from what I just read had the best of companions for her guardians. It is never easy; they are like both children and best friends and are with us for such a short time. Chica (the pup in my avatar) passed away just over a year ago; we shared many wonderful adventures together. I decided to honor her memory by getting a pair of rescues from a kill shelter. It seemed like something she would approve of. I am glad to hear that you have decided to honor Genies memory by taking in another canine soul; I am sure Genie is telling all her friends right now what a lucky dog that new pooch is going be. Peace be with both of you.... my companions and I will be keeping you in our thoughts during our evening stroll.