2 night backpack in The DAKS, Need suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
Hello all,

I need some help, as I'm entering an unknown land... The DAKS!

This Friday my fiancee and I are going to Saratoga to view a wedding venue. Afterwards, we would like to do a two-night backpack somewhere in the daks w/i a two-hour drive from Saratoga.

This will be her first trip out this summer in the woods, so we are looking for something on the more mellow scale. No high peaks, but anything in the 3000ft-4000ft range is fine. We like back country tent-sites and like ponds and small lakes.

That said, any suggestions?

Many Thanks in advance.

Bryan

That said, any suggestions?

Bryan

In the 'Dacks you'll need a bear canister and exceptional food handling/cooking/cleaning skills including potentially cooking and cleaning a distance from where you'll be sleeping. Any lapse (M&M's in coat pockets, etc) is an open invitation to Yogi and Boo Boo to raid your camp, packs, tent, etc.

Not to discourage you, you might know all this. You don't want to sour your fiancee on backpacking at this point, right ?

Thanks for the info... Truth be told, Smokey and I go ways back!

Seriously though, are there any spots that have established shelters/tent-sites with dedicated bear canisters such as we have in the Whites?

I do 98% of my backpacking in the Whites and this is my comparison...

That said, I am aware of bear country and how to keep from attracting unwanted dinner guests.

A friend mentioned black mountain, near Lake George. Anyone familiar with this one?

I've only hiked Black Mtn from the lake off a boat, I don't know how easy the trails are to access from land/roads. Tongue Mtn on the west side is easily accessed from the lake or road. Either side is beautiful. Crane Mountain is also very nice, but you probably wouldn't spend 2 nights there.

Upper Works to the flowed lands. Plenty of camping and views. Climb Marshall or just hike to Avalanche lake - pretty much a flat hike. Amazing area to whet the appetite.

I was going to suggest the east side of Lake George area also. Black Mountain can be accessed from Pike Brook Road, about 5 miles or so north of Whitehall (see guidebooks for details). There is a nice network of trails back there that go to numerous ponds. These can also be accessed from the Hogtown parking area to Dacey Clearing (see guidebooks). Sleeping Beauty can also be accessed easily from this southern entrance. There are lean-tos at Lapland Pond, Milbrook Pond (by far the nicest lean-to/privvy I have been to!), Greenland Pond (no privvy) Fish Brook Pond (2 lean-tos, southern one nicest), and Black Mt. Pond. Not a huge distance between these, but you could easily make a two-nighter out of it, depending upon your style and what you want to do.

Upper Works to Flowed Lands has been mentioned. I second it.

Siamese Ponds Wilderness: Thirteenth Lake, Puffer Pond, Siamese Ponds areas.

Do a section of the Northville-Placid Trail.

another suggestion

HikingBryan -

If you want a true sense of the Adirondacks, I suggest going to the Adirondack Loj and camping there. Hike to Wright Peak and if you get more ambitious, go for Algonquin. I know this is higher than your 3k peak, but once you get on top of these, you're hooked on the 'Dacks forever.

There are those who will say that the Loj area is too crowded but Heart Lake is pretty, the Loj has some conveniences and Lake Placid is only a few miles away if you needs a diversion. You will score big with the fiancee on this one!

HikingBryan -

If you want a true sense of the Adirondacks, I suggest going to the Adirondack Loj and camping there. Hike to Wright Peak and if you get more ambitious, go for Algonquin. I know this is higher than your 3k peak, but once you get on top of these, you're hooked on the 'Dacks forever.

There are those who will say that the Loj area is too crowded but Heart Lake is pretty, the Loj has some conveniences and Lake Placid is only a few miles away if you needs a diversion. You will score big with the fiancee on this one!

I'd second this as an intro, and well said! Lots of conveniences, which seem to balloon in importance to infrequent visitors.

And the options vary widely for difficulty. If Algonquin is too much (and it's not, it's great!), there's Phelps, or even Mt. Jo. Cascade was our bigger kids' first 4k and we could have gone on to Porter with ease. Same for Pitchoff across the street.

Crowded, maybe, but for good stuff.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with, even if it's Mall-Land in Glens Falls!

It has always been my contention that there is more to the Adirondacks than the high peaks, even as spectacular as they are. Keeping in mind the original poster's request for mellow, no high peaks, back country tent-sites, ponds and small lakes, I offered suggestions for places other than the high peaks. My reading was they were looking for a “camping” experience, not a “peakbagging” experience.

I'll second the Upper Works to Flowed Lands. Flowed Lands itself is a beautiful spot with great views of the mountains. As mentioned a hike to Avalanches Pass is great and there is also Hanging Spears Falls not far from Flowed Lands.
I'll also second Heart Lake and the Loj. Definitely some conveniences for your fiancee, i.e. bathrooms, showers, etc. It's a beautiful spot and while it may have more people than the backcountry it's a respectable crowd, mostly empty during the day (most are out hiking or whatever) and it's quiet at night. Heart Lake is beatiful and you can swim or rent kayaks/canoes and just sit on the Adirondack chairs on the dock and enjoy your surroundings. The hiking options from here are endless!

Okay, try this: Camp Santanoni & trails to Moose Pond. Lean-tos, fishing, not too many people, canoeing, maybe even horses. Peaks if you want them.

The DAKs are quite large.

edit: You might also get better coverage if this were in the NY section (http://vftt.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11); and there are also ADK bulletin boards with excellent info. --M.

Last edited:
Tahawus to Heart Lake via Avalanche Pass - Return via Indian Pass

If you have not been introduced to the interior of the Adirondack High Peaks region, this is a great opportunity to get up close and personal with the geography and trails of this rugged country. It is also an opportunity to sample the amenities and services of the Adirondack Mountain Club with an overnight stay at the Adirondack Loj at Heart Lake (near Lake Placid). The round trip will be approximately twenty-two miles (22) in length. The traverse will explore some of most spectacular scenery and “wild” places in the heart of the High Peaks Region.

The journey begins from the Upper Works near Newcomb, N.Y. Before departing, you may want to visit your local library for references such as The Indian Pass by Alfred Billings Street and The Story of Adirondac by Arthur H. Masten. These books narrate the fascinating history of the area. You will follow the Calamity Brook trail that passes the historic Henderson Monument, Flowed Lands and will lead you to the Interior Outpost at Lake Colden. Then you will continue to head north past the rugged beauty of Avalanche Lake - walking the historic “hitch-up Matildas” and viewing the awesome cleft that begins one of the most precarious slide ascents to any Adirondack summit - the Trap Dike. After pausing at the north end of the lake to reflect on what you just completed, you will ascend the spectacular narrow passage of Avalanche Pass where the route was raised fifty feet higher due to a huge avalanche from the north face of Mt. Colden. The last part of the first day’s trek will take you through the main staging area for many high peaks – Marcy Dam. You will complete this leg of the trip by hiking the VanHoevenberg trail to the HPIC (High Peaks Information Center). The rustic, but comfortable accommodations at the Adirondak Loj are a few minutes walk from the HPIC (reservations strongly encouraged). Total distance for this section is approximately 11 miles with a minimal vertical ascent.

Please note:
This plan involves two days of backpacking through spectacular Adirondack passes with one night's accommodations at ADK Loj. However, this trip may also provide a wonderful introduction and incentive for future hiking adventures. From any one of the base camps visited on this hike (Flowed Lands, Lake Colden, Marcy Dam), many High Peaks' ascents can be launched. (Mt. Marshall, Mt. Colden, Phelps, Marcy, the McIntyre Range from Lake Colden, Algonquin, Wright).

You can even enjoy a spectacular sunrise hike to Mt. Jo after your overnight at the Loj. (highly recommended) The Loj respite will give you some good food, a warm bunk, a shower and a chance to regroup before making the return trip to the Upper Works trailhead through Indian Pass.

At the Adirondack Loj, you can stay in the main co-ed bunkroom in the lodge or in one of the private rooms (if available). Included in the total cost is dinner on the evening of arrival and a hearty breakfast the next morning. A trail lunch (for the return trip) may still be available as well. Just call the Adirondak Loj (518-523-3441) for reservations and any dietary restrictions. The room and board coast is slightly more for non-members than members but this strategy is well worth the minimal expense.

Following breakfast after the Loj overnight, you will depart on the Indian Pass Trail that will take you on a southern route approximately 10.5 miles back to the Upper Works parking. Your route will pass by picturesque Rocky Falls and historic Scott’s Clearing. Then you will ascend into the incredibly beautiful Indian Pass. The sheer 1000-foot rock cliff of Wallface will dominate your view as you reach the top of the pass at summit rock. It is truly an unforgettable “walk on the wild side”.

This is a round trip hike covering a minimum of 22 miles without any other mountain options. If you go on a two-day journey with only one night at the Loj be prepared for a challenging return day through Indian Pass. The recovery time is minimal on a two-day trip. That is how I used to lead this hike. There were a couple people who did not make the return trip on the second day as they were exhausted from the trip to the Loj from Upper Works. This is not a trip to be underestimated, but it is one of the classic routes in the High Peaks.

I offer a most enthusiastic Thumbs Up to the previous post.

Friends & I have skied both to Avalanche Lake and to Indian Pass on separate occasions and both were incredible, and fun skiing, too!

They were strenuous days, and represent only day-hike versions of the itinerary above.

But both included awesome scenery! On the day we skirted Wallface, the late-March sun was melting blocks of ice which tumbled down the opposite valley wall from us. The deafening roar of these massive chunks was most impressive! There are also a couple of lean-tos along the route, for lunch & rest.

And on the day we skied through Avalanche Pass (across the lake, too, which left us just agog at the whole thing), we saw the Trap Dike, down which a full-bore avalanche descended, one week later. It apparently caused a surge in the lake which flooded out the trail we had ascended to get there. There are also lean-tos there as well.

Awesome days, albeit in the opposite season from now, but winners for sure!

Just be sure you're fit and prepared!

edit: Couple other little things: 1. BUGS, this time of year. 2. The bear cannister thing is a legal point in the HP, and there are no established lockers (like at Imp Shelter, for example); you must (legally) have the can. You can rent them for five bucks at the Loj. The Loj staff are very helpful with updates on under-crowded areas (http://www.adk.org/ad_loj/).

Last edited:
Wow Pete! Spectacular recomendation right there!! When going through Indian Pass don't forget to look for pockets of snow down in the deep crevices off the trail.
I hiked through there one July on one of the hottest Adirondack days I've ever experienced and what a relief it was to bushwack down off the trail and build a little snowman in "natures cooler"!

You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions presented so far.

Rhihn's advice about the Lake George area and Pete Hogan's detailed Avalanche Pass itinerary suggestion are worth printing! I just did. :) Despite having been through AP numerous times, this itinerary would be great for a backpack with my wife.

And I can vouch that whatever Rhihn suggests, ....... try it. You'll like it!

ADKdremn, spot-on regarding finding pockets of snow. Always a treat!

WOW!!! Thanks all!

Sorry to abandon my thread, I had guests in town...

I'll look over the suggestions with the fiancee and report back.

Super Excited!

HikingBryan

Hey All,

Upper works to flowed lands looks nice, and I'm leaning in this direction.

That said, can someone give me the approx. milage/hike time from the trail-head to a respectable camping local?

Also, I see there are three trail-heads off Upper Works. Is one better than the other? I will need to find my ADK High Peaks book this evening and do some more research. From Flowed Lands, what would be the best day hike/out-and-back?

The overall plan is to view wedding venues in the AM, and then drive from Saratoga to our trail-head. We hope to leave Saratoga about 2PM (at the LATEST) and I want to have ample time to hike in to camp before sunset.

Not worries about lack of accomodations, as the fiancee can hang in the woods (hence why I asked her to marry me ;)) We spend a lot of time in the Whites, and look forward to exploring some new terrain!!!!

Thanks Again

Take the Calamity Brook trail - I think it roughly 3.5 miles to the Flowed Lands where you'll find lean-tos and tent sites. I would venture further left towards the ranger outpost and try and snag the lean-to nearest the water. Probably adds less than a mile to the hike (& is flat). Bring a camera!

Hey All,

Upper works to flowed lands looks nice, and I'm leaning in this direction.

That said, can someone give me the approx. milage/hike time from the trail-head to a respectable camping local?

Also, I see there are three trail-heads off Upper Works. Is one better than the other? I will need to find my ADK High Peaks book this evening and do some more research. From Flowed Lands, what would be the best day hike/out-and-back?

The overall plan is to view wedding venues in the AM, and then drive from Saratoga to our trail-head. We hope to leave Saratoga about 2PM (at the LATEST) and I want to have ample time to hike in to camp before sunset.

Not worries about lack of accomodations, as the fiancee can hang in the woods (hence why I asked her to marry me ;)) We spend a lot of time in the Whites, and look forward to exploring some new terrain!!!!

Thanks Again

It's 4.7 miles (give or take) from Upper Works to Flowed Lands, the shortest approach, and probably your best one, given your time frame. You may be pushing your arrive-before-sunset requirement. On the way in, you could check out the Henderson Monument, a short distance off the trail and a couple of tenths of a mile before F.L., assuming the monument isn't under water! Lean-tos and campsites are in the area, but it is a very popular area, especially on weekends. It's another mile to Colden Dam (again, very crowed).

You'll need to have a bear canister for your food (required by DEC in this area), as the bears are very active in the region.

The trail to Flowed Lands via the Allen Mt. trailhead is longer (8.5 miles to Calamity trail), and goes by Hanging Spear Falls.

As poster deanmacg suggested, Colden/Avalanche Lakes is a good day hike if you don't want to climb a mountain, or visit Hanging Spear Falls. See guidebook for further details of the hike and region.

Here's my lean-to recomendation. As soon as you get to Flowed Lands...you'll know when you arrive, there will be a couple of lean-tos on the right hand side of the trail. Pretty much right on the trail, avoid these lean-tos. Take a right and follow the trail around the shore line and there is a nice, secluded lean-to up on the bank. It's actually hard to see from the shore, look for three or four large boulders right down along water's edge and then head up the bank to get to it. If you get to the point where the shore line makes a sharp right and you can see the dam at the far end of Flowed Lands, you've gone too far.
However, once you find the lean-to if you head down towards the dam along the shore there is a freshwater spring with a copper pipe coming out of the ground. It was marked with a small cairn last year. I used that water all weekend without treating it and was fine.
As far as a dayhike, if you want to do a peak then Colden is a must do! I hiked it from Flowed Lands last year and was back at the lean-to by mid afternoon and that wasn't rushing it. If no peaks, then check out Lake Colden and Avalanche Pass.

Last edited: