Mt. Willard?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
Making a trip to the Whites in a few weeks (last weekend in June) and I plan to hike Mt. Willard with my 5 y.o. son since I hear it's a good hike to do with kids.

I'm reading about the Mt. Willard trail in two different hiking guides. One is AMC's Best Day Hikes In The White Mountains the other is 50 More Hikes In New Hampshire

The AMC book (copyright 2006) states that this trail might be closed in late spring/early summer due to a peregrine falcon nesting program. The 50 More Hikes book (copyright 2006) makes no mention of this in their chapter on the trail. Since both books have the same copyright year I'm confused as to which one to go by. :confused:

Does anybody have any info on this nesting program? Is it still continuing? Should the trail be opened or closed during the time that I am up there? Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
There is no mention of it in the White Mountain Guide either. I don't remember ever seeing this trail closed because of nesting falcons (my wife and I have done many hikes from this trailhead at various times during the year).
You could call the AMC just to be sure though.

Mike

I have never heard of the Mt. Willard trail being closed for falcons. For one thing falcons nest on a cliff, not in the woods and while Willard certainally has a large cliff forming its face, the trail use on the peak would do little to bother any falcons ( unless you fall from the summit and hit thier nest on the way down) but that would be a federal offense, so I would not suggest that option.