Mt. Kineo, 6/6/09. I can finally relax on my deck!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDawg

Reaction score

I just got into a new place in Campton, one endearing feature of the house is a great view NW which features Mt. Kineo and the Mt. Moosilauke massif. Well guess which peak out of those I hadn't climbed before today? Enough to drive a peakbagger crazy! :p:D

Took Mt. Kineo Tr. out and back with a bushwhack in the middle. 9.5ish miles 2300ish feet. A section of the Kineo trail was converted into a muddy snowmobile trail last fall, but some of this section was already a muddy piece of crap anyway. They did loop the snowmobile route away from the area around Black Brook Cascade, so at least that section of trail looks normal. Mt. Kineo trail along the swampy areas has many deep muddholes. I love these lightly used trails though. Didn't see a soul all day, good way to beat the Saturday crowds is to go where few go.

From the height of land on Mt. Kineo trail, I kept to the Hubbard Brook side of the summit ridge and found relatively open spruce/fir forest all the way to just below the summit, where I had to push through some thicker stuff to attain the summit. Upon reaching the top I was delighted to find a nice summit sign, register, cairn, and to top it off, a moose antler. Gorgeous afternoon out, even a couple views through the trees. I took 5:15 with a break in the middle. It helped me having an altimeter, so coupled with map/compass I knew generally where I was at all times. Helped when it was time to push up to the top from below, and when I should be looking for the trail again on the way out.

Bugs were kind of annoying, especially near the wet areas and along the summit ridge, a few DEET applications were required.

I got home and Kineo was "on fire" from my porch, which I can finally rest easy on knowing I've climbed every major peak in view. Nice end to the day there. Actually, now that I've said it, I may have to hike East Kineo too. :/
[URL=http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2658713610060201085UriWmu] [/URL]

The days pictures.

Last edited:
Great stuff, pictures, too, but no foam finger on this one?;)

Good to see you're still wackin'!

Ha, nah not this time. :p

The Mt Kineo trail has been on my list of less used trails to check out. So, it was fairly easy to follow? Nice pics of your bushwhack!

grouseking

Thanks, the trail itself I had no trouble following. Showed indications of recent trail maintenance. Could use a good number of bog bridges lower down but it made things interesting without them. ;) But not too convenient when trying to run from deer flies!

Last edited:
I just got into a new place in Campton, one endearing feature of the house is a great view NW which features Mt. Kineo and the Mt. Moosilauke massif. Well guess which peak out of those I hadn't climbed before today? Enough to drive a peakbagger crazy . . . Took Mt. Kineo Tr. out and back with a bushwhack in the middle. I love these lightly used trails . . .
Congrats on your new place in Campton! And, couldn’t agree more about loving those “lightly used trails”.;)