Thirteen Falls loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miehoff

Reaction score
I am very interested in hiking to 13 Falls Tentsite and somehow managing to reach South Twin and Owls Head all in 3 days, two nights. I will be starting from the Kanc. I imagine it won't be all the difficult. I am looking for suggestions and opinions on difficulty, route and other stuff that I might not know about (hightlights, etc). I will do this during the week to avoid crowds. Thanks.

I did something very similar a long time ago.

Day #1 was to 13 Falls and set up camp.
Day #2 we did Galehead and back down. You could very easily swap out Galehead for South Twin.

Day #3 you could get an early rise, take the Lincoln Brook Trail to Owl's Head on the way out. The last day could be long.

You could very easily swap out the first and last days to make the last day the long boring hike out.

Well, since you are not getting a ton of replies I'll chime in here. How about this:
Day One:
Starting at Lincoln Woods take Wilderness Trail, now called the Lincoln Woods Trail to Franconia Brook Trail and head west on the Lincoln Brook Trail...once you hit the BIG carin for Owl's Head, drop your pack, head on up the slide and bag Owl's Head, continue north on Lincoln Brook Trail and stay at 13 Falls for the night.
Just a small note here but: IMHO the height of land on the Upper part of Lincoln Brook Trail between Owl's Head and 13 Falls CAN be quite muddy and a bit sketchy to follow, it's not terribly difficult to follow but in places you'll have to keep your eyes out. 13 Falls is a very nice spot to camp....if it's full when you get there just head up on Twin Brook Trail and there will be places to camp outside the FPA.
Day Two:
Take Twin Brook Trail up to Galehead Hut then head on up the Twinway to South Twin...keep going down Twinway, (nice farily flat section, fast going with not much elevation gain) and head on over to Bondcliff Trail, I mean really if you have 3 days you might as well go to the Bonds. Take Bondcliff Trail and get a site at Guyot Campsite...spend the night.
Day Three:
Travel over the Bonds...don't forget West Bond...it's my personal favorite..if you have the enegy catch a sunset at West Bond on the 2nd night...head on over Bond and Bondcliff, then out to the Wilderness trail to your car at Lincoln Woods.
Have fun.

Thanks for the replies

I will chew on them for a while. I am not going this week as planned, since the forecast is terribly depressing. It will have to wait, but I plan to do it before winter sets in. Seems like the loop is a lot of fun and perfect for a weekday excursion. I really appreciate the response.

Here's a trip I did 7/6-7/8. You could do the same, if you like the looks of it; just substitute S. Twin for Galehead.

Day 1: Hiked into 13 Falls from Lincoln Woods and set up camp. This was done by noon. Then took a light daypack and hiked up the Twin Brook Trail, and then the Frost Trail to Galehead and back. This is where you would substitute the climb up the Twinway to S. Twin, a significantly stiffer climb.

Day 2: Starting at Lincoln Brook Trail to Franconia Brook Trail, and back to the campsite, circumambulated and climbed Owl's Head. The Lincoln Brook Trail is bad and beautiful, like all my favorite women; Ann's comments describe it perfectly. A big fat day, very satisfying.

Day 3: Hiked out the way I came in.

I had actually planned something closer to Ann's trip, but had to modify my plans when I received some bad news during a check-in call.

Steve

Last edited:
Pemi Loop

A very doable hike in the aloted time- very beautiful area- should present no problems. Why not do North Twin as well? The tent site I thought rather uninspiring.

Happy Trails

was considering following anns route in reverse, hitting the bonds the first day and spending the night at guyot.

the second night at 13 falls or a site near the owls head path if its legal.

the third day back to the car with a stop at franconia falls.

is this a good idea or am i better of sticking with anns plan?

thanks and peace!
:D

Either way works fine. Your best bet is to choose whichever route puts you at Guyot on any night except Saturday. There are plenty of legal places to camp along the Lincoln Brook trail, just stay 200' from the trail. There are plenty of well worn sites near just about every stream crossing.

-dave-