COMPLETE! - Is it ever really done !?!?! Panther - Plateau 6/6/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zer0-G

Reaction score
I arrived at the Mink Hollow trailhead at 6:50 AM and departed for Plateau quickly by 7:10. It was a cool morning with strands of sunshine winding through the trees. I was invigorated by the morning hues and clear blue skies. Getting an early start escapes me most times as I am usually not up and about at 4 AM in Valhalla a scant 120 miles south of most Catskill trailheads. Regardless, I was enjoying the moment.

The trails at lower elevations were moist and drier as I climbed. The few scattered views were enjoyable. I took a few moments at the Plateau summit to reflect on impermanence and how that is reflected in my life at this moment.

Now, I don't know how I let this happen (I really do, but that is for me to ponder alone in the midnight) but I find myself at the end of completing a sublist of an expanded list which is a subset of another list which I am sure is then a subset of an even larger list.

Ah, a need for some clarity. Having been assigned an official number by the Catskill 3500 Club, and the winter Rocker as well, which sits on top of an unofficial number for the lower 67. Of which a part of this list is included in the NE 115 (the final 13 which will be completed in July) which encompasses the NH 48 and the ADK 46 46er's (both of which I have patches and or numbers) for which all of these have mutant variations.

Variations such as The GRID for each. I.E. 35 by 12, 48 by 12, 46 by 12 and the most famous "whatever the heck you want to name it" by "whatever crazy time frame you are insane enough to attempt it all within". Not to be confused with but certainly combined with 35 by 4 (Seasons) and all the possible variations of all of the above notwithstanding.

So, on this beautiful morning I am pondering these thoughts as I am completing the Spring sublist of the 3500 foot peaks in the Catskill Mountains. I return to the parking area by 10:15 and pull out the Barka-lounger and relax. Eventually I head out to the Giant Ledge parking area. A lazy drive. Windows open. Static blasting from the radio tuned to the radio station I desperately want to hold on to. By 11:30 AM, I am there. I can see that quite a few people have signed in this morning so, unlike Plateau, I expect to see some bodies tramping about. 11:50 AM, I depart from the register.

I pass everyone on the way and get to the summit of Plateau. Most of the other hikers stopped at Giant Ledge. Finally, at the summit of Panther, I break for lunch and I am joined by a younger hiker who tells me that this is peak number 4 in his quest to become a 3500-er. We chat for a while. I am entertained by the visit of another hiker whose daypack is an old Army Surplus backpack. With pockets all over the thing and with authentic "CANTEENS" - totally retro!!! I feel Totally Modern. Anyway, this is it. Spring 3500 is done! Winter 3500 is done! I have 9 remaining for the Summer and 3 in the Fall. This is also 163/420 on the grid. I will surely be an old man by the time I finish that one. Which, by the way, I guess, is the primary reason I am doing the interim 4 season thing. Am I really addicted to instant gratification?

Back at the car at 2:20, relaxing in the Barka-lounger once again. Just sitting, relaxing and watching a few people come off the trail and then......

Last edited: