True Bushwhack for Cliff

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
Ok, here is a thought. Has anyone whacked Cliff from the northwest before (directly from the shelter on south shore of flowed lands). I thought it might be neat to combo this with Redfield, and a whack over to Skylight, returning via Opalescent. Any thoughts? Once we get up cliff we have plenty of bail-outs, which is good. Is this land private? Can I whack here legally?

-percious

second question. Does anyone know if that shelter is still there? Im using a topozone map here....???

third question. do you guys have any idea if we can car camp near Upper Works. Our plan is to camp out near there, explore the ghost town, then move our butts to Flowed land for the night.
I'm guessing its all private though.

Been there...Done that. I can only comment that it is blowdown hell during the summer. My best route up was in winter. I started about 100 yards up the trail from the lean-to (near the bridge) and took my best direct line approach. You will have to work around some areas that have unpassable terrain.

Good Luck,

car camp

I have slept in my truck many times in the Upper Works area. You can park at the Santanoni trailhead, the Allen lot a mile further up the road, or at the Flowed Land trail register at the end of the road, by the empty buildings of "Adirondac". Nobody has ever bothered me there. The Allen and Flowed Land lots also have an outhouse nearby. The "trail" to Cliff from Uphill Brook is bad enough, I can't imagine how bad the blowdown situation is if really bushwhacking. Good luck...

We climbed Cliff from the north. It was February, there was 8' of snow underneath, and it was like a stroll thru a park.
I understand that its pretty thick down near the ground, though.
Tell us how you made out.

Since I dont have a truck... Is there a good place near the Allen or Flowed land trailheads that I could squeeze a 2 man tent? How about water supply? Any place near there where I can legally camp?

-percious

No legitimate campsites but some of the old houses are hidden by woods from the road and there should be flat spots near the houses. As for water the Hudson runs right along the road most places. Some people have called Henderson the Headwaters of the Hudson rather than lake Tear. There is also an overgrown field on the right as you come into the old village.

Any place near there where I can legally camp?

For the time being, the entire area around those trailheads is PRIVATE PROPERTY. The public is only given "easements" rights along the trail routes. I'm sure there are illegal spots, but then your talking about ethical questions.

I've arrived very early to the upper works trailhead and slept in my car (I don't own a truck either), and I know that is fairly popular. Not ideal, but it's the best you can do.

Last edited:
Why not camp at State campground in Newcomb (Lake Harris)?

Percious,
I agree with rivet, stay at Lake Harris. It's a fantastic campground, with many sites right on the lake. It's only about a half hour ride to Upper Works, it's legal, and it's a lot more comfortable than your car. Did I mention it has hot showers?

Ok, call me a bad guy, but I can't get comfortable "car camping" and I have pitched a tent in the woods off of the Upper Works trailhead parking lot. I never left a trace...

I have done a little bit of illicit camping myself and I always felt both frustrated finding a flat out of sight spot and guilty over compacting the soil and vegetation. So way back in the '80s I converted to hammock camping, at least when I knew i might not be able to camp in a designated spot. Ultra low impact and you can always find a private spot.

If you do a lot of unofficial camping I recommend a Hammock. Remember the reason camping is limited to certain areas is to reduce impact. You know what I mean, that ugly sprawl of packed down duff with little undergrowth and all the branches stripped to 8'.

Cliff from Flowed Land

Hi Precious.

This approach from Flowed Land is possible but...We don't recommande.

We made 3 times this way (in a other time of winter) and every time it was very bad: the blowdown it one of the more difficulte to across and it was impossible to contourne all...

Every time We toke more time of by the usual approach.

But if You like the great adventure.... good luck!

If You have a plan to bushike, We recommande just a little bit more to go from Skylight to Redfield or in the other direction, the blowdown is a little bit more friendlybut it is not a place to go with your new girlfriend except if You like to play at the russian roulette....

Have great time.
:p