6/8/09 - conditions in King Ravine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobC

Reaction score
Has anyone been in or near King Ravine, that can tell me what the snow conditions (if any) are like? Planning a trip into the ravine and up the headwall via the King Ravine trail on 6/13.

Thanks
--Bob

I was in the N. Pressies 2 weeks ago, and though not King Ravine, I wouldn't worry about the snow conditions for this upcoming weekend. What I would worry about are the "bug conditions". Bring plenty of deet!

I was a little ways to the west, in Castle Ravine, yesterday. Just one snowfield near the trail, roughly a 10-foot square and not too deep. I'd say you should be all set next weekend.

For what it's worth, there weren't any bugs, but of course that can change in a hurry!

Has anyone been in or near King Ravine, that can tell me what the snow conditions (if any) are like? Planning a trip into the ravine and up the headwall via the King Ravine trail on 6/13.

Thanks
--Bob

We're going up on Sunday ... would you mind not postholing. Thanks. :D

This will probably be of little or no help, but here's a photo looking into King Ravine that was taken about a week ago on May 30.
At that time, there appeared to be some lingering patchy snow here & there, but didn't appear to be anything major.
100_1907a.JPG

We hiked up King Ravine on Sunday, June 14. Though the rain held off the rocks were wet and doubled the time to scramble up.

There was no snow. However, coming out of Edmands Col on Monday, southbound, we went through a snow field piled several feet high to either side of the trail. It was about 50 yards of winter wonderland but, slushy, not icy.

I did the King Ravine hike on 6/13 and luckily it was all dry for us in the ravine. It rained hard on the way home though, so I'm not surprised it was still wet for you on Sunday.

Anyone been up great gully recently? (Or somehow managed to see it from a distance in this weather?)

I'm particularly curious about whether any morcels of snow remain in the vicinity, and if so, the size and degree of undermining of those morcels.