Appalachia Essay by Laura Waterman

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
I just finished reading the essay by Laura Waterman in the current issue of Appalachia. In it she describes her first hike to Franconia Ridge since Guy died. She had given up the idea of returning to the ridge due to bad knees, but after having knee replacement surgery, she wondered if she was ready to face the conflicting memories of Lafayette, even though physically her knees could carry her there.

This was the most moving Essay I have read in a long time.....

As they were approaching treeline, a companion asked Laura if she wanted to go to the spot where Guy had died, and she said:

" This was a question I had needed to raise for myself before I could come back to the Ridge. Did I want to visit the spot where Guy had died? I knew I would not know until I was up there. What I had discovered- though why should this have surprised me?- was that Guy was not in just one spot; he pervaded the Ridge."

If you can get a hold of a copy of the current issue of Appalachia, read this article. It is a beautifully told story.

Even though I didn't know Guy, and don't know Laura, somehow it makes me feel good that she was able to go back up to the Ridge again.

Jason,
as I believe you and I know, Laura was right on the mark with this. I had the same feeling as we moved along the PAtN ridge last November. Thankfully, I had support from a lot of fellow hikers.

Thanks for posting this.

Marty

If you enjoyed the Appalchia article, then I'd highly recommend reading her book about the tragedy, Losing The Garden. That book drew me in like few have.

I havent received a new copy of Appalachia in months so I hope the latest one is headed my way. I'm looking forward to reading this follow-up to the book.

bob