Bearvault Alert - Flowed lands

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

This message is really for the General Info section where I do not have priviledges. The site monitor can decide whether or not this info is worthy.
June 4 at the Flowed Lands Lean-to, 3 very experieced hikers returned to find one of their 3 bear canisters missing. A thorough search was made with the assumption that most animals would roll it downhill - no luck. A passing hiker, when informed of our problem, told us that he had seen a canister, with its contents trashed, high up on the hill. We investigated and sure enough the Bearvault had numerous indentations from teeth but was otherwise functional. We gathered the garbage, stuffed it in the Bearvault and placed it away from the lean-to and apart from the other two Garcia bear canisters that night. Once again, the Bearvault was carried off and torn open, but the Garcia canisters were merely knocked over.
The Bearvault worked for a few years, and was used previously in this same area where bears have been very active for a long time. Needless to say, the Bearvault product requires a rethink. In our case, the bear's teeth could pierce the edge of the lid enabling it to carry it and tear it off or unscrew it. The thread had not been damaged.

I am pretty certain that the DEC had put out a notice in summer 2007 that BearVault's had been "bear compromised" in the High Peaks region; and I am also pretty sure that the Garcia's were breached that summer as well.

Good info and worth posting! Thanks!

Found nothing on the DEC site, here's what BearVault has to say:

http://www.bearvault.com/bearvault_productnotices.php
(click rightmost tab "Adirondacks")

BearVault recommends against using BearVault canisters in the Lake Colden/Marcy Dam corridor and the Johns Brook valley as these are within the bears' territory. You can freely use BearVaults elsewhere. If this area is your main area of backpacking recreation, return your BearVault to the place you purchased it and use another product. If this area is an occasional location for your backpacking recreation and you wish to continue using your BearVault outside this area, then make arrangements to use an alternative product when you are in this area.

I am pretty certain that the DEC had put out a notice in summer 2007 that BearVault's had been "bear compromised" in the High Peaks region; and I am also pretty sure that the Garcia's were breached that summer as well.

Just to avoid any confusion, it's only the BearVault cans that are a problem. The Garcia and all the other "screw-style" cans are safe.

There are signs at the Loj advising backpackers of the issue. I don't recall seeing warnings anywhere else, though (unfortunately).

Jason

Just to avoid any confusion, it's only the BearVault cans that are a problem. The Garcia and all the other "screw-style" cans are safe.

There are signs at the Loj advising backpackers of the issue. I don't recall seeing warnings anywhere else, though (unfortunately).

Jason

Good to know and I apologize for any confusion. I recall reading a post that summer about one bear figuring out Garcia's -- but I am getting old and my memory is fuzzy....:D

Jason

I've used the Garcia two times at Lake Colden and both times the bear(s) knocked it around most of the night and all over the place while I was awake to hear it and it never got our food.

I wish they made a solo.

Is there a place in the general vicinity that you can rent bear canisters? (We're heading in to the JBL area and then onwards from there... no maps in front of me or I'd be more specific.) I'm heading to the Adirondacks next month and was planning to bring my Bear Vault. I'm not terribly jazzed about buying a new canister since I so rarely need one.

Is renting a canister for a week going to end up costing me the same as buying one? If so, I'll just have to suck it up and buy a Garcia.

- Ivy

EMS OR MOUNTAINEER IN KEEN. THE SHOP IN lp DOES TOO, HIGH PEAKS BIKE SHOP I THINK. fOR A WEEK, YOU ARE BETTER OF BUYING ID THINK. JUST GOT A NEW BACKPACKERS CAN , $74.00 AT EMS.. i THINK ARE GOOD ONES.

I like the tag line that the backpacker cache uses " cant be opened unless the bear has a quarter". I hope they have banned the importation of coins into the high peaks area;)

The bear told me it needed change for the vending machine. I was surprised to hear that there were vending machines at lake colden, but the bear insisted there were, and that his crumpled dollar bill (the bear was holding the bill in it's mouth) kept getting spit back out by the machine. I asked the bear where it would keep change, since it had no pockets. The bear shrugged, and started to look annoyed, so I just gave it the change and put the crumpled and soggy bill in my pack, and moved on.

I knew it was up to something.

Good one Chris !
You look better in this avatar !:D

I've rented them from the Raquette River Outfitters near Tupper Lake in addition to the other places mentioned. (also cheap)

Last edited: