Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A "Darn Tough" Weekend

dang. nice way to push it.

Fine back-to-back hikes. Sounds like the Hut-to-hut is calling; if you begin at Madison and include Pinkham via Carter, you will cover about the same mileage, I think, without the four hours sleep at Barnes.

First of all, hat off to Jason and Steve for the 2 big hikes back to back, simply AMAZING.

Second of all, wicked awesome traverse we had there, great weather and crew, sooooo glad that Frank and I decided to push on with the 2 machines. I had done many traverses before but never once made it to Jackson, so this is a first for me and as it turned out, I've never ever been on Webster, the peak is quite a little gem, great sunset to reward our effort.

Thanks guys for another great hike.

Here are my pictures.

Great job gang - sweet pictures by one and all.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by leaf View Post
    dang. nice way to push it.
    Just doing what Salt-N-Pepa told me to do: "Ah, push it - p-push it real good"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dasypodidae View Post
    Fine back-to-back hikes. Sounds like the Hut-to-hut is calling; if you begin at Madison and include Pinkham via Carter, you will cover about the same mileage, I think, without the four hours sleep at Barnes.
    Dr. D - that's the idea....see the persons avatar prior to your post? Yea, I'm planning on trying the hut2hut with her in the near future. I figured this would be a great gauge to see how strong I am at this point - and you're right, the mileage and the elevation are about equivalent to what I did last weekend only in 24 hours with no sleep

Quote Originally Posted by 7summits View Post
    .....First of all, hat off to Jason and Steve for the 2 big hikes back to back, simply AMAZING......

Second of all, wicked awesome traverse we had there, great weather and crew, sooooo glad that Frank and I decided to push on with the 2 machines. Thanks guys for another great hike.....
    Thanks 7S! Yea, great traverse on Saturday - we were glad that you and Frank pushed on with us too - allowed us to push on a little farther and you're right - Webster is a nice little gem, and the sunset was AWESOME! Great way to end the traverse for sure
    "Not all who are lost wander." - Me

"The Great Way is very level but people greatly delight in tortuous paths."
    - Te Tao Chin

"Strength without flexibility is rigidity.
    Flexibility without strength is fragility." - It's all about YOGA

Dude-
    That's friggin IMPRESSIVE !
    When I grow up, I hope I can do that !
    --Rookie

I got sore just reading that fast-paced report. Awesome. Couldn't imagine doing it.

Btw, you need a new T-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    The tall guy with the Swedish accent and the broken hand was Mats. Was he carrying a mini-keg of Heineken?
    Went light this time.....did a grueling ascent of Pine Mountain on Saturday so I had to keep it light to keep up with the pressie traversers

Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
    Nice TR Steve and great pictures everyone. I'm so envious of you hardcore traversing hikers except when I enjoy second helpings of fine food! Seriously you guys ROCK and are a great inspiration too many, glad you enjoyed your weekend!
    The heart of the journey is in the path not the peak!

Exeter, NH; Avatar: Carrauntoohill, Co. Kerry, Ireland
    Glad you survived the Moose encounters Steve. I'd prefer the first sighting - on the trail!

Thanks everyone for a great day out on the Presi's!! Bit of a challenge for me due to some feet issues particularly on the last leg over to Pierce and then the final 3 miles out, but like Wu said it's a great feeling to complete! We couldn't have asked for better weather with gorgeous views from every summit. Taking Star Lake again this year and scrambling up the "chimney" is always a fun climb and tops out on Adams before you know it!

Kudos to the crew who continued partying over to Jackson, stumbling around in the woods, taking whatever trail, which just happened to go over Webster, ...very nice

Great job back to backers and pemi loopers!!
    "We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka

Quote Originally Posted by UNFROZENCAVEMAN View Post
    Dr. D - that's the idea....see the persons avatar prior to your post? Yea, I'm planning on trying the hut2hut with her in the near future. I figured this would be a great gauge to see how strong I am at this point - and you're right, the mileage and the elevation are about equivalent to what I did last weekend only in 24 hours with no sleep
    Yeah, I'm hoping the jaunt up to 15,500 feet a week prior to this will make up for my lack of training.

Quote Originally Posted by leaf View Post
    Yeah, I'm hoping the jaunt up to 15,500 feet a week prior to this will make up for my lack of training.
    I forgot ..you're going to be training ....hmmm maybe you should carry a little extra weight!! I know just who's pack you could lighten!!!
    You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well. ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    -Gandhi

i just clicked on it and all the sudden a bunch of warning lights flashed on my work computer and there was something on the screen about inappropriate content. i have a meeting later with my manager. wonder what he wants to discuss.

Holy Crap!
    That is a dayhike!!!
    I wish I could do it, but with my slow-as a smail pace, it would take a week!!!
    YOU GUYS ROCK
    "If its not fun, why do it?"- Ben and Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by dr_wu002 View Post
    PS. We got to see toads doing it on the roadwalk back to the car!
    Were they doing it froggy-style?

Steve if you really were still on Little Haystack when you called I would've been happy to bring you some beers.
    Curiosity won out over good sense. We had a plan...